Notices

91 days today.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking 91 days today.

So these past three months have been something else...I finally fell off the deep end, got kick out of my house and made the only courageous decision I have made in years. It was time to go to rehab. It was there that I finally realized that there are people who think and act like myself. I wasn't the only one who was depressed/anxious without drugs or alcohol. Whom would lie awake in bed after a binge, hoping I would pass away in my sleep, only to arise to another day filled with regret and shame. It was roughly 3 years of what I now describe as pitiful and incomprehencable demoralization.

At rehab I learned that I suffered from a disease, which centers in the mind as well as the body. I was also told that a had a spiritual malady, meaning: a disorder of the spirit or soul. I used to be a spiritual person, but I lost contact with God over the years.

I got a sponsor, worked the steps and now I sponsor people. today is really an amazing day.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Nick)) - Congratulations on 91 days!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Great job and great inspiration for all of us, Nick!

Congratulations and best wishes!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Great job! 91 Days is extremely impressive.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job Nick! I am at 74 days and getting insight to the condition as well. I am back for a second time to AA as my issue is with alcohol and this time , no half measures. Alcohol did unto me what I would never wish on my worst enemy but now I am being restored to sanity. It has really helped to talk with people who know the condition and have had success in staying sober and leading a rewarding life. From no hope , despair and the four horseman in full gallop to a place of hope and a chance to regain sanity...I could not ask my HP for anything more.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're an inspiration!

S x
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

. I am sincerely happy to hear that! You really are an inspiration. Thanks so much for the post.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awsome milestone on three months.

But sponsoring people at this time in your sobriety , I seriously question. Your sponsor is okay with this ?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nick302 View Post
So these past three months have been something else...I finally fell off the deep end, got kick out of my house and made the only courageous decision I have made in years. It was time to go to rehab. It was there that I finally realized that there are people who think and act like myself. I wasn't the only one who was depressed/anxious without drugs or alcohol. Whom would lie awake in bed after a binge, hoping I would pass away in my sleep, only to arise to another day filled with regret and shame. It was roughly 3 years of what I now describe as pitiful and incomprehencable demoralization.

At rehab I learned that I suffered from a disease, which centers in the mind as well as the body. I was also told that a had a spiritual malady, meaning: a disorder of the spirit or soul. I used to be a spiritual person, but I lost contact with God over the years.

I got a sponsor, worked the steps and now I sponsor people. today is really an amazing day.
This kind of stuff Makes my day...Amazing isn't it?..To go from useless to useful....What a free gift...Grace is the word. I'm happy for you...Enjoy your new life!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

IMO you just dont have the expierance to help someone thru things that you have not done. And you really could be hurting someones sobriety.

If they want to talk about staying sober thru thanksgiving and christmas , new years. What advice can you give them.Since you have not been through them yet yourself.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Awsome milestone on three months.

But sponsoring people at this time in your sobriety , I seriously question. Your sponsor is okay with this ?
I think the only experience you need as a sponsor is having had a spiritual awakening as a result of the steps...I've never heard length of sobriety mentioned as a needed qualification.....Then again...The word sponsor isn't even used in the text of the Big Book.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think the only experience you need as a sponsor is having had a spiritual awakening as a result of the steps...I've never heard length of sobriety mentioned as a needed qualification.....Then again...The word sponsor isn't even used in the text of the Big Book.
I know for me at 3 months I was building a foundation but that cement sure wasnt cured.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 3months nick.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
I know for me at 3 months I was building a foundation but that cement sure wasnt cured.
I don't know...I guess we can both be thankful Bill and Bob didn't wait around before they carried the message.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I don't know...I guess we can both be thankful Bill and Bob didn't wait around before they carried the message.
Exactly brother Sapling WE have that choice now because of them . We have people that have used and had the program in their life for a little time to guide us. They didnt.

I just look at it like this. A kid turns 16 and gets their drivers license. And three months later would I want he teaching drivers ed. Or maybe wait a year or so. After they hit some potholes, speed bumps, and near collisons. Then go into the classroom and teach with the guidance of their teacher..

Thats all.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread. So this will be my last post..

Again congrats on 91 days and keep living the dream and stay on the beam
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Being sober isnt the only gift of working the steps. helping others is probably one of the most beneficial things I can do to stay sober along with being of service and staying in constant contact with my higher power. I frequent rehabs and seek out broken and hopeless individuals whom I can shed some hope with. If you have worked your steps thoroughly, fearlessly and honestly you have been given a set of tools to help yourself and others. My sponsee just got through his 12 step last week and is now a sponsor. I feel blessed to have this opportunity in life to be a role model and teacher and its,quite honestly the best "high" I could ask for.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And thank you all for your support ^^ I really appretiate it
Old 11-17-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nick,

Congratulations on 91 days!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job! very inspiring
Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nick302 View Post
Being sober isnt the only gift of working the steps. helping others is probably one of the most beneficial things I can do to stay sober along with being of service and staying in constant contact with my higher power. I frequent rehabs and seek out broken and hopeless individuals whom I can shed some hope with. If you have worked your steps thoroughly, fearlessly and honestly you have been given a set of tools to help yourself and others. My sponsee just got through his 12 step last week and is now a sponsor. I feel blessed to have this opportunity in life to be a role model and teacher and its,quite honestly the best "high" I could ask for.

That's a beautiful thing...I see far too many people not get this thing...You're a shining example of how it works!