Notices

Fuuuuudge I think I am an insomniac or I don't know what

Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fuuuuudge I think I am an insomniac or I don't know what

I haven't slept last night, and I didn't want to sleep today, but I kinda need my brain to do HW. I need to sleep to get some focus back. If I could just waste my day and do nothing it would be great but I can't.

I am not sure if the attempting to stop drinking is making matters worse for me in this regard. I just want to watch college football, watch UCLA vs. USC, but I may miss it if I don't wake up. Sleep, why must we humans need sleep. It's pointless waste of time I wish we didn't need it to recuperate, but we do.

Goodnight(morning)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesoFreak View Post
I haven't slept last night, and I didn't want to sleep today, but I kinda need my brain to do HW. I need to sleep to get some focus back. If I could just waste my day and do nothing it would be great but I can't.

I am not sure if the attempting to stop drinking is making matters worse for me in this regard. I just want to watch college football, watch UCLA vs. USC, but I may miss it if I don't wake up. Sleep, why must we humans need sleep. It's pointless waste of time I wish we didn't need it to recuperate, but we do.

Goodnight(morning)
"Q" on "Star Trek the Next Generation" was part of the "Q Continuum" - superbeings who could change reality, time, space, etc. As an experiment he tried being human for a while. Shortly he felt the need for sleep and said, "I felt this horrible thing come over me. I couldn't think. I couldn't function, and I had to succumb to unconsciousness. It was horrible. How do you humans deal with it?

I have the standard alkie thing. I do one of 2 things. I either:

a) push through my tiredness until I get a second wind and stay up until 3am or at times daybreak, or

b) go to sleep at a reasonable hour and then wake up after 4 hours when the alcohol has worn off and can't get back to sleep.

scenario b is what happened last night.

Another Star Trek episode: a guy was in a budding relationship with a woman and found out she was overdrinking and sleeping irregularly. He said, "you know, you'd sleep much better if you didn't drink." Turns out she was drinking because she had chronic pain from some medical condition.

Drinking helps you get to sleep, but it doesn't help you to stay asleep if you do it on a daily or nightly basis.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a chronic alcoholic but as W.C. Feilds said The best thing for it is plenty of sleep.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

It has gotten much better for me.
I remember back to my early days\weeks and I was having to sleep on the floor. Anxiety over sleep itself, falling, dying etc. would kick in just as I was about to drift off to unconsciousness. My heart would be pounding and I'd just have to get back up splash water in my face, do something around the house\internet and try again later... or try to stay awake until I had no other choice (I was unemployed). Terrible feeling, but so glad I am past that. I surely would have seen a doctor if it still persisted for me now at 14 months. I enjoy waking early in the morning now, I can walk my dogs and get ready the day ahead, plus I get tired sooner in the evening. Beyond Melatonin, I have 5-HTP which many people take before bedtime to help with mood and sleep. I don't use it much now, but I have and believe it helped.
Wish you the best Meso.