Notices

Is it even possible?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it even possible?

Last night was my first night without wine. I drank strong black tea all night to curb cravings and keep a high caffeine level thinking that would help with potential headaches or withdrawal symptoms. I didnt get much sleep....but...I think it helped. I didnt have any of the withdrawal symptoms that I have been reading about. Is this even possible?????!!! Can it take longer than 24 hours to experience detox effects? I was so scared that I would have the night from hell.....but it was totally fine. Does that mean that maybe I had not been drinking long enough to be physically addicted? 6 years seems like a long time, and I am only 108 pounds so I expected to be very physically dependent. I was drinking 1-2 bottles per night, and sometimes even a bit more if I started earlier in the day.
Can someone tell me if this is typical?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Congratulations to you, Jennifer, on making that step. It is a little like stepping out into the abyss, not knowing where your foot will land. It takes courage and a lot of it. Bravo.

My withdrawal was mild in comparison to some folks. I experiended headaches, nausea, insomnia, shakes and sweats, and a racing heart at times. These disappeared after three or four days but the mental fog of being hungover went on for several weeks. There is a thread of collected experiences athttp://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html. Hope you find what you are looking for there.

If you start with the elevated heart rate and you get concerned, please see a medical professional immediately. Alcohol withdrawal can be a serious business.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good start Jennifer. Keep it up.

As you will see from others experience, it is very individual how you react. The only thing you can be absolutely sure of is that it will get more difficult the more and longer you drink, as well as far more dangerous.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! Congrats! As for the withdrawal all i can say is that everyone is different yet withdrawal can come on suddenly and be quite dangerous. Dont be afraid to get your doctor on board or go to the hospital if necessary. I didnt usually have bad withdrawal except mild shakes, then all of a sudden *WHAM* I darn near had a seizure, and ended up in the hospital twice. I think that adding vitamins and minerals may have assisted my withdrawl at times, but I was always ready to go to the hospital or get meds if necessary. Good luck
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Count your blessings. Don't use this to talk yourself into thinking you don't have a problem with alcohol, or thinking, "Great, I can still drink."
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is good advice, doggonecarl, and I will take it! I feel like maybe I "dodged a bullet" this time, but I dont want to push my luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The ability of the alcoholic mind to delude itself is amazing. Chances are if you went through full-blown strait-jacket DTs you'd still be able to convince yourself you don't have a problem.

Cunning and baffling. That's alcohol.

Continued success on your recovery journey.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
The ability of the alcoholic mind to delude itself is amazing. Chances are if you went through full-blown strait-jacket DTs you'd still be able to convince yourself you don't have a problem.

Cunning and baffling. That's alcohol.

Continued success on your recovery journey.
You got that right donggonecarl.

Yeah, like I've never left the hospital and gone straight to the liquor store (o.k. maybe a few times!). It is amazing how we fool ourselves.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with doggonecarl - good advice! My sister has asked me how I knew I was an alcoholic. I just was tired of the merry-go-round, I wanted off! - She has convinced herself that she doesnt have a problem because, in her assessment, she just "falls asleep" (passes out) after a few drinks. She gets "migranes" (hangovers) and her "dog" occaisonally pees the bed. Denial is probably our biggest muscle.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh! Two more things I wanted to add.... Welcome Jennifer! Glad you figured out how to start a thread, glad youre here! Someone told me that my cravings for sweets may increase after stopping because there is so much sugar in wine - I did bump up candy intake and evening icecream or popcorn. - yes, I put on 10 pounds but it helped get through the first couple months - especially the evenings when I would normally go for the wine with my TV shows. Eventually you may want to wean off sugar all together for a bit to clear the system, but for now just be gentle with yourself! Take care!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I weigh 30 pounds more than you and drank anywhere from 1-3 bottles of wine a night a few times a month (then would either abstain or only have a few drinks here and there). Each time I binged, my withdrawals got worse. And I only did it for 2 years. I had to do a medical detox last week.

Everyone's different, I guess. Count your blessings- withdrawal was the main reason I could never stay sober. Glad you're here!

And yes, sugar sugar sugar. Other than alcohol, I never ate sugar or junk food (and HATE sugar in coffee and tea), but I've found sugary drinks both hot and cold help a lot.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, and take a lot of vitamin B. It's what they give you in addition to Rx meds if you go to a doctor or hospital, and it's easy to get on your own. Apparently it helps a lot with restoring an alcoholics' system as well as help with anxiety.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i posted last night as it was my first day sober after bingeing on god knows how much vodka for 6 days, i have experienced withdrawals before and yes they were quite mild but now they are absolutely horrendous, the worst seem to be at night, i drift of to sleep no problem even though i know what is about to occur in a few hours time, cold sweats, hot sweats absolutely ringing wet, shaking excessive, and the worst is the hallucinations, ive seen people sitting at the end of my bed, thought id heard people outside my window and even believed that a tree had crashed thru the window and i was crushed under it, the nightmares id have would have been banned if anyone try to make a film out of them, and sure enough last night was no different i thought my dog was attacking me and was completely hysterical screaming for my husband to help me, after that i was frightened to go back to sleep! as i mentioned this has happened before , but still did it stop me from doing again, i always convinced myself it would be ok this time but did it heck, it gets worse and worse each time! im truly 100% give this the best shot of complete abstinece as i know i will soon die, i was admiited to hospital beacuse of burst stomach ulcer which caused me to vomit blood in the night and i didnt even wake up, just woke up with my bedroom looking like a murder scene with blood all over my pillow and bed sheets and in my hair, and do you know what i did poured myself a vodka, absolutely disgusting its only that my 22 year old called a friend who came and seen the carnage and rang for an ambulance, but instead of going happily with them i resisted because i didnt want to be departed from my beloved drink, but you guessed it i spent half a day there and discharged myself against their advice. and stopped off at the bottle shop to buy more, and carried on for another 2 days, im lucky to be writing this really, and im actually ashamed to stay deep down i dont really want to stop and am wondering if ive already set myself to fail, but im assured this is normal to feel this, someone told me at a rehab clinic that i could either check myself in or go away and get help when ive reached rocked bottom but i never really knew what that was, a few months ago i thought is was the fact that after my husband found my stash and poured it in a plant pot that contained bird poo cigarette buts and rain water that i was actually prepared to drink it, but discharging myself from hospital with suspected internal bleeding has definately got to be it,im sick of watching me destroy everything around me just for the sake of booze, im taking myself off to the next AA meeting i can find on monday and am going to start the slow steps to recovery, sorry to harp on but the people around me do not understand what im going thru and dont fully understand, wish me luck i i will post my progress x
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"Harp on" all you need to. Remember, you are not alone and and certainly the people here know what you are going through.

The only real "bottom" is death. Other than that, the real alcoholic (like myself) can always find a new low. We don't have to do that and the support is available. I have been amazed at how much help people are willing to give as long as we work to help ourselves.

Please do post your progress.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you to start on this path. You heard enough about your potential for detox so just stay vigilant. I drank for 25 years and did not detox. Whatever you do don't think that no withdrawal makes you any different. We are all alcoholics. One sip of wine and the dark days will return. Be strong.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thank you sotisisit, i would like to post my reply as a new thread but unsure if i can do it now i replied it on someone elses thread, does anyone know if this is possible?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charlielou View Post
thank you sotisisit, i would like to post my reply as a new thread but unsure if i can do it now i replied it on someone elses thread, does anyone know if this is possible?
You can create a new thread by clicking the "New Thread" button on the left just below the Banner on the Forums page. Is that what you are asking?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, Jennifer.
I was once 10 days sober and didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms, except a headache on the second or third day.
Congratulations on becoming sober!!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats.. I'm in a similar situation, ~6 years daily drinking, and in the past I've had really strong cravings my first couple days as well as withdrawal symptoms. This time, I'm on day 8 now, I haven't really felt anything. I guess it just depends.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had mild withdrawal and was glad of it. To be honest, I didn't dwell on thinking how I was 'supposed' to feel.

I felt the crummiest at day three. I hope it continues to go well for you.