Notices

New to all of this

Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to all of this

I am so happy to have found this online group. I would like to stop drinking but I am too embarrassed to talk to my doctor about it (and afraid of the consequences of my insurance company finding out).
I considered AA, but I am not religious, so I am not sure if its appropriate for me.
I really hope this site/group will help me stop drinking.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Don't let the religious bent that you perceive in A.A. get in your way of trying it out. People will be supportive and welcoming. There are people of all beliefs in the meetings and if you go to enough meetings I guarantee that you will hear someone say something that has great value to you.

I'm not religious and don't have A.A. as my main support in sobriety but I have never regretted a single meeting I've been to. As well, there are are many people who say that it has saved their lives but at the same time state that they aren't particularly religious.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! That is good to know. I will consider it. Do they have any online programs? I live in a small community and have kept my drinking a well-hidden secret. I am the mom of 3 and the idea of "coming out" as a wine addict is still too scary.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doctors have heard it all before and I guarantee every doctor treats addicts in n their practice.

I told my Doctor and I'm glad I did, as he has been very helpful in my recovery.

Just say ' Dr. I have a drinking problem and want help.'

Sober four months and no one, but my Doctors and wife know I'm an addict. Everyone believes I stopped drinking to be healthier, which is true.

There is no rule that says you have to come out to everyone you know.

Come out to the people, like doctors who can help.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA has absolutely nothing to do with religon
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try going to a meeting in another small town. Anyway, everyone there will be alcoholics - they won't blow your cover!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

haha, thanks isinganyway, that is actually a pretty clever idea
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 22jennifer View Post
Thanks! That is good to know. I will consider it. Do they have any online programs? I live in a small community and have kept my drinking a well-hidden secret. I am the mom of 3 and the idea of "coming out" as a wine addict is still too scary.
Yes, there are lot's of online meetings at all times of day, A.A. based and otherwise. I've never participated myself but they do exist. Use your web browser and have a look.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jennifer

Just so you know, there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings because I like seeing, hearing and knowing other people just like me. Some are Christian, agnostic or atheist. Many different people with one goal to stay sober. There are a bunch of ways to get help. Pick one that you like and commit to it. I wish you the best of luck. Keep checking in with us on your progress.