Notices

Quitting Hydrocodone

Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Hydrocodone

I've been through many surgeries in my life, starting with my first eye surgery at age two. I've been through 1 more eye surgery, 6 hernia repairs, and had a steel plate implanted in my arm, each time being placed on hydrocodone during recovery. A serious neck injury landed me on an extended period of Hydrocodone usage, leading to my current dependence.

I know I do not need the drug for pain any longer, but only to keep myself "normal", as I've seen others post here. The cold turkey solution scares me, and I was also told by my doctor not to go there, and the first two days sounds like absolute hell. I am instead going to step away slowly from my current 4-5 7.5mg pills a day, taking away a half a pill each week. I am open to other ideas, but this is what my doctor suggested. The rest of this week I get 4 (no more), then starting Monday it is down to 3.5.

One deterrent is that I suffer from winter depression. Since starting a regular dose of Hydrocodone 8 years ago, I have not suffered from this nearly as badly, and any attempt to go off has triggered an indescribable blackness. Hydrocodone also quells a restless leg syndrome issue I've had since I was 16 years old which kicks in with a vengence when cutting back. All of these things have contributed to my past failures at quitting. I am serious this time, I want off of it!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions that can help make this as smooth as possible; I've heard some pretty bad things about coming off if it, and can use any encouragement I can get. Thank you to LlamaBeanz for your post on going cold turkey that got me to sign up. You are an inspiriation!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you've discussed this with your dr.

It sounds like you have the motivation to do this, knowing that it won't be easy. The seasonal depression affects many of us here and I was just discussing this last night with my husband. Walking outside has helped my mood for many years now, but at this time of the year I tend to not want to push on. It's dark and cold, but you know what, exercise and getting outside, can really help the seasonal depression. Exercise can also be helpful for RLS.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I would say everything you just said above to your doctor. He/she should be able to address your concerns and make it as easy as possible for you. Honesty is always a good policy.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies! I actually have discussed all of my issues with my doctor. He has repeatedly told me that I take an extremely low dose and not to worry about it. Anything that makes me feel this way when I do not take it is something to worry about, and I know that. I am considering a different doctor at this stage.

Anna, your suggestion is a fantastic reminder. I litterally just finished talking with my Dad about that exact method of helping to relieve depression. The hard part is that as I reduce the dose, motivation dissolves. I must look at it like there is no choice, just do two short walks a day, minnimum. Interesting about the RLS as well; I'll let you know if it works.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I can not address your specific situation or doctor but my experience shows that most in the medical community have little if any experience with addiction. There is some incredibly bad advice given by medical professionals. I would seek out a doctor that has specific knowlege of addiction. The are called addictionists or addictionologists or at the least find a Doc who has some knowlege in the area.