Notices

First time post from a soberish person

Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time post from a soberish person

Hey everybody. I've been reading posts here for a while now but haven't decided to post until now. I really like the support here and am hoping to quit drinking for good, the only big thing that gets in my way of that is that life is very dull without alcohol. I'm 24 years old and currently attend college full time with excellent grades. I've always had the idea in the back of my head to quit drinking and decided to really put an effort to give it a serious try this time because this semester is the hardest one I've had so far and really don't have time to deal with drinking and hangovers. I started drinking and smoking marijuana when i was 13 years old. I ended a daily habit of smoking marijuana almost 2 years ago, and haven't smoked it at all for a little over a year ago now. Im proud of myself for that because i thought i was never going to quit for good. I've had a few slipups with alcohol this past month which is why I chose the name Soberish for the forums. Compared to how much I was drinking before, which was about 3 or 4 days out of the week at least, I consider this really good. I used to be this happy go lucky person that was always cracking jokes and full of good energy. For the past 4 or 5 years though I've somehow turned into this quiet person that doesn't interact very well with new people. I do have a good circle of friends I've known for years but I just don't make new friends very often. Without alcohol I'm nervous and always self critical, I tend to think a lot about the past and am finding it hard to become this adult I'm supposed to be. I hope to get back to this person I used to be but am starting to think it may take more than just not drinking. I'm done venting for now, maybe ill start posting more often although some times I just prefer to read because I find it hard to express how I feel. Thanks for reading, I really enjoy this site.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Soberish.

I knew whey I was quite young that I certainly had problems with pot and alcohol, but waited a few decades to do anything about it. Hats off to you.

I hope by reading here you see the progressiveness of this disease. I can see a downward spiral occurring throughout my life, even after rising to the top of a professional career and the steady decline down.

You have a chance to avoid that. Good for you.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Alcohol slowly puts us in a situation where it "seems" we can't get by without it, and life will be a pale imitation of what it could be with alcohol.

The reality is radically different once you are free of it's toxic influences on your emotions, thinking and world view

I had "dread" when I thought about a life without alcohol- the reality is I am happy and free
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Such parallels. I'm 24. Recently quit drink. Boredom fueled much of my drinking...at least, on the surface. Started smoking weed daily aged 13. Was in university, getting good grades, when I 'began quitting'. Experienced mad anxiety without drugs / drink (still a work in progress on that score). Became introverted. Felt pressure becoming an adult to be a certain person or behave or become a certain thing / person.

If you've the free time and inclination, try reading this...not because you 'need' some sort of extreme intervention nesecerily, but more because as a college student and intellectual some of the ideas and logic behind AVRT might prove useful to you in your own journey ...to get sober and / or deal with that transition into adulthood: google 'Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT'. It has helped me, albeit our paralels are equal to our differences - by the time I made it here and began reading stuff like this I'd moved onto heroin.

Like Memphis said, welcome and kudos to you for getting here now. That, in itself, deserves respect.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-15-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: delinked - commercial links not allowed...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR soberish.

Glad you are here.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Soberish

It took more than just not drinking for me to become the person I wanted to become - it also took a little time, a lot of effort and a fair amount of patience

It also took a little bit of fearlessness in looking at my murky depths and facing a lot of fears I used drinking and getting high to avoid.

The good news is altho it was uncomfortable at times it was from impossible...and I had a lot of support and encouragement here.

I know you will too

D
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Post away and welcome! Glad to have you with us!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Soberish.

I can relate to your feelings of awkwardness and having a hard time making new friends. I have similar tendencies and am just now starting to deal with them at the age of 37. I basically used alcohol to run away from these issues for years instead of taking a good look at myself years ago. So, instead of dealing with personal issues in my early twenties when they began to surface, I am dealing with them 15 years later. I wouldn't characterize the last 15 years as 'lost', but they could definitely been more fulfilling.

However you choose to live your life, I doubt alcohol will help you achieve any goals. Good luck to you, and you are right there is a lot of good information here.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Im new too and love this site. Everyone has been super supportive and very nice.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Soberish

I agree with you that it takes more than just not drinking. I ran away from all my troubled thoughts til now, it feels really good to start facing up to stuff and I can only wish I had done it sooner. Have a look at some recovery programs and spend some time here. Stick with it. This really will be the best thing you've ever done x
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support and welcoming arms. I actually went for a run today and feel a lot better than yesterday. Working out has really helped me lately and i recommend it to anyone struggling with the negative feelings of being newly sober. As for AVRT, I have read a little about it and would like to read more when I get a chance. I will try and post on here more because it helps to get some of my thoughts out, although I have to say ill probably be posting more at night time. I also look forward to posting on other threads as well. Once again this is an awesome forum to be a part of!