Notices

Planning for the holiday

Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planning for the holiday

It's been a full week for me today- 7 days down. I've been diligently eating well, going to the gym a lot, and no big deal not having a drink after work so far. (I work at a restaurant/bar, evenings, so i feared breaking the after shift drinking habit as much as any other situation.) Anyway, I'd been timid about the upcoming holiday, the usual overeating and boredom drinks while hangin with family or meeting with friends after. I was going to not mentions not drinking, thinking my parents would assume it a big issue, or that I'd not stick to it. But I really want to, and I feel very proud. So I calledy mom today to discuss plans, cooking, etc. I told her to pick up some NA cider or beers if she's getting anything with me in mind. She was glad for me, and I feel good planning ahead to stick to this for myself. Little wins!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Very good idea to plan ahead for the holiday. Holidays can bring on major triggers. Boredom, stress over family relationships, loneliness or missing people, habit (drinks and football anyone?),reunions with drinking buddies...I think Thanksgiving has just about all of them wrapped up in one neat package lol

Cider is a great idea-it's different and will feel a little more festive. Think I'll do the same.

Good for you for weathering the after shift drinking cravings-not easy, I've been there...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on the 7 days good idea to plan ahead, in the first few weeks I thouroughly thought out my weekend strategy and it really helped!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Holidays were always a hard time for me when I quit drinking. I come from a long line of alcoholics and holidays with them turns drinking into an Olympic event.

Unfortunately they werent quite as supportive as I would have liked but I made it work. But it is rough going into it with a plan will definitely help you succeed.

Good Luck to all of us during the holiday season they can be rough. But we are strong and can do it.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Someone in my program suggested I carry my most recent sobriety chip with me when I go to Florida next week just as a reminded of my sobrierty. My parents are big drinkers so there will be daily drinking and I will be tempted. My parents know I am in recovery and while they are happy they aren't as convinced as others that I'm an alcoholic which can cause them to be enabaling. I'm going to try and go to meetings when I'm there, make sure I have some phone numbers on hand in case I need to talk. I'm going to remember where drinking got me last x-mas eve, black out drunk and cussing out my entire family for approaching me with concern about my addict criminal boyfriend and spending all of X-mas day sick in bed. And the countless other consequences I've suffered from drinking. And how good I'm going to feel when I get back and realize I had a fun holiday that didn't include any drinking.
Best of luck to you. I know holidays are hard for a lot of people no matter how many years sober they have.
I'm still a little...hesitant...about praying, never done it, not my thing, but I've really been encouraged to start praying every day, so maybe I'll try that too.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a fan of NA beer/cider etc, but each to their own...

There are some good holiday tips here:
Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D