Notices

Diet/Alcohol

Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diet/Alcohol

Hi,

I've posted one thread here before in regards to binge drinking and the fact that my weekend drinking was/is super heavy etc and thats's something I'm working on to major cut down.. But one thing I was thinking was alcohol in relation to someone's diet, when I do drink as in on one of my weekend going out party binges I can drink untolds amounts, get very very wasted, black outs the next day etc but out of everyone I can also be the last one standing at parties and also put the most away.. this is not too often and only one the proper hardcore drinking episodes, but the thing that i think my problem is maybe compaired to others is, i know that once im on the roll i dont stop easy in that once im drunk theres no censor really once it flicks in my head from being sober/semi drunk to oh ohhh.. but my question i guess is, i in general eat a very small amount, i'm a very thin guy, my diet is mainly protiens and i guess i eat maybe the same amount of food as a slim girl would, I don't like eating a lot and dont eat a lot of carbs, but I do know that all my friends eat pizzas, pastas etc especially before going out drinking and i'm always the first one to peak and i guess its because my diet is a lot less and not these big foods? i was just wondering if anyone knew of any diety type foods of more protien based foods that if i was to go out drinking would help stablise my alcohol better and also stop be getting quick drunk after a few drinks which in turn would lead to more... im not trying to use this thread for tips to get drunk just if i am cutting down drinking a lot which is what i am aiming for, i dont want to start eating a sudden hude different diet, but just something that drinking 2/3 glasses of wine wouldnt get me so on the path for more if i'd eaten something to stable me for a night???
Old 11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Um, you want to know what to eat that would keep you from getting drunk before your buddies do, specifically dietetic tidbits to help keep your slim figure. That's a tough nut. Maybe try a couple of watermelons.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I know you're trying to figure out a way to cut down/moderate and I understand (cuz I tried for a l-o-n-g time to do that). To be honest, though, if you find that you can't control your drinking on a consistent basis, I don't think eating (or not eating) certain foods is going to help. I just know that it didn't matter for me.....

Are you still considering taking a break from alcohol altogether and/or doing counseling? Glad you're continuing to post and trying to make positive changes for yourself.....
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not to keep me slim or diet tips, just that ive never been a big eater ever, never really ate much carbs, and i know that i see people eating lots of these type of foods before drinking etc and they always seem to last a lot longer than me, i know its easy just to say, eat more or dont drink, but i wouldnt be in a drinking forum if it was that easy, im def have and doing cutting my drinking down and have managed to do it a lot, just what im saying is i dont want to also start eating huge amounts of food etc to 'soak up' the alcohol or whatever and was just wondering on the newer path im taking to seriosuly cut down my drinking which i am if theres anything protien wise or things i can eat that can help stabalise you more even just for a few drinks, until i get my appointment with the councilser, im not posting for ways to loose weight or diet tips so i can get drunk with my friends or whatever
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

and @ artsoul.. yup have cut down major since my last post, just drunk a few times and was just a few glasses of wine, have signed to a counslier but getting the main appoinment is taking mch longer than i hoped.. still waiting for the actual date... so just am finding as well that since have cut out drinking so much that just a few glasses which by my normal terms is very little has more effect i was exepcting, nothing major at all but i was just thinking if thetes something i could be eating before that would just help me along, anyway have been doing research and apprently lots of fish etc helps as it oily fats and wouldnt get my drunk so quick... im just trying to make a little drink through out the night, go a long way... until i work out a path to either stop all together or have a professional person helping me
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh and just in case! if anyone finds it hard to read my posts etc... dont worry im not wasted when typing them i have dyslexia ! just as i know they can be all over the place
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First of all, I would advise condisering at least a period of absintance. Just to break a habit. yet if you are going to drink I recommend eating protein and healthy fats and never drinking on empty stomach. Maybe try lots of water to hyrdate yourself...I think anyone in early recovery (including myself) need this as well. Try and protect your health...yet again I must say, is it worth it to drink? Do you not see a destructive pattern here? Best of luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

i was just wondering if anyone knew of any diety type foods of more protien based foods that if i was to go out drinking would help stablise my alcohol better and also stop be getting quick drunk after a few drinks which in turn would lead to more... im not trying to use this thread for tips to get drunk just if i am cutting down drinking a lot which is what i am aiming for, i dont want to start eating a sudden hude different diet, but just something that drinking 2/3 glasses of wine wouldnt get me so on the path for more if i'd eaten something to stable me for a night???
With all due respect Mark I think you might have the wrong idea of what we provide here.

There's probably forums out there that will give you all kinds of tips and tricks about what to eat so as too not get too drunk or drink less.

Probably a lot of people who'll be glad to take your money too for all kinds of pills potions and powders.

If you're an alcoholic like I am, tho - none of any of that make a blind bit of difference.

Maybe...and bear with me on this...maybe you can't stop once you start, and you're the last man standing so often...because you have my problem too Mark?

The only way I found to deal with that problem is not to drink at all....not by changing my diet, I'm afraid.

D
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well yes it does seem as if i am in the wrong place as i'm not really after sassy replies to be honest such as 'and bear with me on this...maybe you can't stop once you start, and you're the last man standing so often...because you have my problem too Mark?'

if you have read my messages and previous post my problem is alcohol and binge drinking and i have no doubts its an alcoholic problem just knowing my past behavour with things I am def a walk rather than run person and stopping something all at once rather than slowly cut down and then is def the way i handle things better - I have been and made an appoitment with an alcolol counciler to have therpy to help me manage my binge drinking problems and have been using this forum to try get some help and advice -
in regards to my diet - one thing i know for sure that would help me until i have my appointment with the counciler for actual professional help - is that while i have cut out and down my drinking a lot, i'm still on a few drinks and trying to do what i can to make them few drinks not turn me into that 'last man standing drunk' hence by asking if anyone knew any good foods to eat that can help stablise the drink better so while i'm still on this path of having a few drinks, i dont turn myself into this binge drinking mess i have been trying to avoid, anyway yes this is gonna be my last post here because i'm also not really interested in reading replies like this, i have no problems calling myself an alcoholic and i have no doubts that at some stage yes i will have to stop completly, but i was here trying to get tips to help me along until i actually got professional help...
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh and also the title for the website is called sober recovery.. which is something i was trying to do.. maybe just call it hardcore only alcoholics if thats all you want here because with all due respect to you, you also need to get it that everyone also has a drinking problem in there own way, and also people at the start of their journey maybe are not ready to 'not to drink at all....not by changing my diet,' and trying to find ways to help along that
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mark, everyone has different paths along their drinking and into their possible recovery. But years ago, I remember AA people telling me that I am not unique (ticked me off at that time). BTW, I used to eat lots of potatoes before I went out, but more recently, that interfered with my drunk, so I just ate less, and got buzzed faster.

The thing about problem drinking/addiction is that there IS a common thread. Addiction is the only disease that I'm aware of that is truly helped by those afflicted talking to each other. Diabetics are not cured by talking it over with other diabetics.

I am grateful for this site. Fortunately, you can be sure that people here are just trying to help you.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

If you are the real deal like me then there is only one thing i know off for you to be able to not have any problems with drink and thats dont drink.....

No protiens, carbs, complexed carbs, sugars, fats, starch,diary products, eating before, eating after, will make any differance.....

And i understand your frustations, i tries EVERYTHING in the book in order not to have negative consequences from alcohol some even worked for a short time but in the end they fail, they always fail.

sorry for the bad news.... but hey you may well not be an alcoholic!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

mark,
Maybe some back to this site after your appointment with the counselor and give us another try......can't hurt? Take good care of yourself.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mark20 View Post
oh and also the title for the website is called sober recovery.. which is something i was trying to do.. maybe just call it hardcore only alcoholics if thats all you want here because with all due respect to you, you also need to get it that everyone also has a drinking problem in there own way, and also people at the start of their journey maybe are not ready to 'not to drink at all....not by changing my diet,' and trying to find ways to help along that
I don't think anyone intends to be mean or rude. I'll speak for myself and say its hard on me staying sober for me to think of ways to help you drink more effectively. I know there are other site on moderation. I also know almost all of us who are here frequently are here because we rely on each other to completely abstain. Sorry if this response isn't what you had in mind.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I recommend raw chicken livers. You will be so sick you will not want to drink. Works everytime
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

mark, you asked a question and you obviously didn't like the answers. instead, you became defensive. "i'm gonna take my toys and go some place else". that's ok. we're just being honest with you. trying to be supportive. as you leave though, you may want to take a peek at the person in the mirror. you know...the one asking these telling questions.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It has been said before...

This is a recovery sight, not a moderation sight.

Sorry, but any advice that I have regarding "moderation" will end up killing you.

Zube