Notices
View Poll Results: Did in patient rehab make a difference in your life?
yes
32.26%
for a period of time
6.45%
no
9.68%
never been
51.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

rehab here i come

Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

rehab here i come

I've been actively addicted to drugs and alcohol for about 7 years since I got out of high school. I've made small attempts at being sober several times. Just recently I tried a 6 week outpatient class with the promise to myself that I would go to in patient rehab if I could not stay sober for at least six weeks. I messed up the first week and decided to follow through with my promise.

It was so hard finding a rehab place since I have a job and insurance. Every place I called only took medical cards or fee waivers and the hospital wouldn't take me because I'm not suicidal. It's a tragedy that I could get help if I wanted to die but couldn't get help if I wanted to live. It was so hard to be on the edge of emotional stability admitting to all my friends and family that I was powerless over my addiction and needed help and then not be able to find it.

After several days of searching for a rehab facility, I finally prayed and found one the very next day that not only would take my insurance but also had no waiting list. I feel god has answered my prayers and I'm so happy to finally have hope for my life again. I don't know if I will have internet access in rehab but I will continue to post progress as soon as possibl
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

welcome to SR Gamer. Never went to detox or Rehab but yep there are some great ones around.

Hope it works out and that you can stay in touch here.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck Gamer. Never been but from what I've seen you get out of it what you put into it. I do know several people who have achieved longterm sobriety from inpatient rehab however, using follow up of course. (follow up with outpatient counseling, AA, or some other intensive outpatient treatment, like CD IOP.) You are doing a great brave thing. Congratulations!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Gamer,

I turfed myself into rehab for 3 months back in May this year. Best decision I have ever made. Good luck with your journey mate.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered

I've done in-patient, out-patient, long-term, short-term, you name it. I have been to some kind of rehab 4 times.

1989: short-term in-patient
1999: IOP
2003: long-term in-patient
2009: IOP

Treatment didn't "work". *I* worked. Nothing was going to help me until I was at the end of my rope and ready. My first three rehabs, I was "sent" there. I wasn't ready and I resented being there, but hey, as long as it got people of my back.

For this addict, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Rehab is great for those who are ready to do the work. My last IOP was the ticket for me to kick-start my new sober life.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

After rehab I had to become a member of AA to stay sober
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Rehab saved my life. That said, once you're released, it's on you. You have to do the work. Rehab can be a great start for lots of people.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So far it hasnt helped, but I am going again in December to a place that also deals with trauma/anxiety/depressio so I hope that will work better for me. I am also more dedicated this time and dont feel "forced" into the situation. It was my own choice.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

All my treatments have ultimately led to AA. I have not tried any other form honestly. As it was stated above, treatment works when people DO the work. It is most definitely not a magic wand or cure-all.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck Gamer - welcome

D
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I drank and used heavily from teenage to 39 years old. Lost everything but my life. 3 dui's but managed to never get sent to AA. Health problems ect ect...

I crawled defeated and beat into AA and have found a whole new life.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I went to in patient treatment, and it was the best decision I ever made. I only stayed for 7 days as opposed to the 14 I believed I was going to stay, but it definitely turned the momentum around in my life towards positivity. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I totally agree with you mfanch. I've tried to get sober other times, but it wasn't until this time that I was actually so sick of living a meaningless life that I was totally willing to admit helplessness and do absolutely anything to get and keep sobriety. I've been going to AA meetings this weekend, and I start outpatient iop tomorow (3 times a week for 3 hrs a day). I've been sober for 10 days now, the longest I've been sober for a long time. I've also distanced myself from my using friends, something I could never quite accomplish before. I feel in my heart this time is different, and I know I can do it. I will keep posting updates.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

That is awesome, Gamer. Glad it helped. Now take those tools and knowledge you've just learned and put it to use! Don't "balk," so to speak.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you went, gamer - congrats on 10 days!! I went to a 30-day inpatient program (twice) - best decision I've ever made (along with joining this forum).

It's great to have you with us!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Gamer, I'm just a few hours away from ya (distance-wise). Cold isn't it, lately? Congrats on your time. I'm on day 15, longest abstinence in 15 years.

Keep up the good work. Several people here have suggested that when I want to drink, I should remind myself that it just isn't a viable option.

And I'm beginning to believe it....if I want a better life, drinking is really not an option and I have to keep reminding myself of that, and/or keep being reminded of it on here.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did an out-patient rehab thing for a few weeks and stop going. Didn't seem like they knew anything about recovery but don't drink and go to AA regular. They never hard of SOS, SMART and any other program beside AA.

I had to learn if on my own! Feel better today then in years now.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to Lakeside recovery in north palm beach in september. It saved my life. Rehab did not keep me sober the first time I went four years ago though. What I learned was that rehab is only the foundation and the start of your recovery. When I went to recovery I thought that I would get some kind of magical answer to stay sober. The answer I got was that I had to take an active part in my recovery every day. If I was not willing (willing to go to any length) I would eventually go back. I have to change my whole way of thinking. I have started on my journey to recovery by going to detox then rehab and it was the smartest thing I have done in my life because I gave myself another chance at life. We can not do this on our own. I hear that most others can not stay sober on their own without help too. Good luck in rehab! And if anyone is not sure about going to rehab..just think of all the times that you have tried to get and stay sober on your own and it did not last! It is okay to ask for and receive help!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did 30 inpatient and it saved my life. The 30 days got me out of my cycle of addiction and taught me life skills I need to stay sober. I use something I learned in treatment everyday. I also use my network of people from treatment everyday. This combined with meetings, na and my Hp all is going great. This site is also a god send I use daily. Stay strong in recovery and remember you control your recovery. The only one that can put a drug in you is you. Good luck and god bless!! Your pal in recovery Wes!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient in September. It was the start I needed. I was there for 28 days and did a lot of soul searching. It helped me clear my mind and get honest with myself. I went to 10 AA a week while there and that helped as well since I have never stopped going. As they say, rehab will get you sober but AA will keep you sober. Good luck.