Notices

It happened, kind of embarrassing

Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It happened, kind of embarrassing

I went to my neighborhood drugstore tonight. I have been there a couple of times since I quit drinking 4 weeks ago today. So far the cashiers have just rung me up. Tonight I stood in line for a long time . When it was my turn the cashier said ,Hi stranger where have you been? What? No wine today?" I said "Nope" she then says' Wow that's great , did you quit? What made you stop" There were about 12 people standing behind me. I survived and she is young and I think she was being friendly. I dreaded going in there a couple weeks ago because I was afraid that this very thing would happen. Ok I am not angry. I deserve it, afterall, I have been buying alcohol there every day sometimes twice a day for the past 4 years. Ah consequences.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the story. I used to have one particular cashier that I would hate to see when I was buying alcohol regularly. Even if I picked another lane she would notice what I was carrying out. Sort of liked seeing her after I quit. She never said anything but I could tell that the gears were turning up there wondering what I was up to. LOL

Maybe you inspired one of the folks behind you. You never know who needed to hear that......even if you didn't : )
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You got through that very gracefully, good for you. I would go out of my way to not chat with sales people when I bought wine.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, it a consequence? I don't get your point of view. You went to a drug store that you've been buying alcohol at for the past 4 years and the cashier noticed that you are not buying any. She complimented you and told you that it's great you are not buying any alcohol and that you quit.... and you're devastated over this and thinking it's a consequence for your old actions? You've done something extremely beneficial for yourself and you're acting like it's a punishment.

Be proud that you are not drinking alcohol anymore and have some confidence in yourself. Why be afraid? You're doing this for yourself and for your life. This is your life that you're talking about, and you're afraid to admit that you're doing something to vastly improve it? She certainly wasn't poking a stick at you and mocking you, I'm sure she see's that you're taking care of yourself and getting yourself in order.. That shows a lot to other people and it does create respect.

Don't "dread" your sobriety, escapist. You'll only set yourself up for a path of destruction if you keep that up.

Raise your chin, smile, and be proud of who you are and who you're becoming.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Escapist, sorry you went through an embarrassing situation. I love Happier's take on it-you may have helped someone else in the same boat we used to be in....
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I wonder what she thought before? I used to rotate stores (LOL)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
I used to rotate stores (LOL)
HA!!! I can relate to that!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For all you know, you could have even inspired the cashier herself to quit drinking, you never know.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey this is a good story escapist,,, mines a bit different (its a store where i harldy go to ) but still rather funny , so i thought id share,,
a huge supermarket (in uk) a huge queue, and i got some fruit ,bread and stuff, and one bottle of vino,, it was 3.45pm,, the lad at till, says,,, "hey its a bit early for that innit hun?"",,, i nearly dies,, but came back nicely with , " gee what do ya think im gonna crack it open and start guzzling on the bus, when i go to pick up my kids from school? hun?
"
"its for this evening thank you " xx everyone laughed!! i wasnt even the only person in the damm queue with al,, but he picked on me , or so i thought,,,
anyhoo, not really a good story is it? damm ,, i must think of a joke or someatt good to follow this drivel ,, lol
lv x (a sheepish ) cleo xxxx xxx
Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cleo, I thought you were gonna say you did open it and drink it on the bus

Well done on handling that escapist. I still dread someone mentioning it at the stores I used to shop at, not because I am embarrassed that I have quit, more that I just hope they didn't notice I was an alcoholic before. Fat chance of that really.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You got through that very gracefully, good for you. I would go out of my way to not chat with sales people when I bought wine.
I used to wonder if the liquor store clerks missed me? The owner is a neighbor.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try not to be embarressed! Try to be proud! (although Im great at spouting what I think is good advice but I would be embarressed too despite what my brain tells me).
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

not to sound harsh but i think its good to realize just exactly how unimportant we all are. a comment from someone, a response, a few words here and there...a fleeting exchange that no one ever thinks about again, but replays in our heads over and over again. those things mess with my joy and i try real hard to extinguish them from my head immediately.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I was a liquor store clerk for many years. Most of us drank ourselves and didn't care how much our customers drank. I realize a drugstore is a little different. Just saying, you know who drinks a lot, but it didn't matter much.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Funny you bring that up, I use to rotate stores as well. I had three, two convience stores and Wally World. The only reason convience stores exist is for soda, chips and beer.

escapist, I have thought about someone doing that to me, the classic scene from a show where the clerk yells across the store asking for a price for Preparation H, etc....
I'm older now, but would still get me.

Pretty soon it will be old news, so good going!

Toss
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober 12/18/11

I would of been a bit embarrassed myself! That is a huge praise report though. I think these situations are put in front of us specifically so we can be reminded of how bad things were. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am still waiting for that to happen. It was bad enough when I was drinking and at the grocery store with my kids and my daughter loudly said "mom, don't you need wine." That should have been the thing that made me stop, however, I shushed her and quietly put the bottle in the cart.