Notices

Back again

Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bri

Back again

Hey everyone, for those that don't know me my name is Brian and I am an alcoholic. I don't know where to begin. I first found this site after a 2nd DUI with the first one being 10 years prior. I found soberiety after a 3rd DUI with the second one being 3 months prior. Sad I know, but where the big book says "off to the races" when it comes to alcohol and me its beyond the Indy 500, it's a back road demolition derby. I am posting here because in the last 6 months I have relapsed several times and now I feel it is time to retake step one. From my experience to anyone reading this, if you are here and had issues with alcohol and now feel you can drink normally, take my word you can't. Yesterday I was with my child. She went down for her afternoon nap about 130. Now I am staying at a hotel waiting to see my child again. Tbh my wife isn't very nice and I have used this as a way to justify my drinking. The fact is I was drinking long before I met her so whole she might be a trigger she's not the cause. Anyway I posted this because I am ready to give recovery another go. I feel that in order for this to work I need to be alone. Only in the fellowship of other alcoholics. Thank you.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Thanks for the post. The great obbession of us alcoholics that 1 day we can drink normally, this thought has to be smashed. i used to think my faince was a trigger my dog my cat infact just breathing was a trigger the truth is i drunk because iam an alcoholic and thats what i do!!

why would you want to be alone away from your family and only in the company of alcoholics?? surely sobriety is ment to bring you closer to your family friends not islolate you, because lets face it alcohol has been doing that!!

Good luck on your journey! you will find some great people on this site!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
teacher in need of knowledge

Thank you for discussing dui's. I feel alone about mine recently.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just got my second DUI a couple monthes ago. The second in less than two years. Court is coming up and I am terrified, but also Im slightly amazed at how Im getting proactive in turning my life around. I am thankful no one got hurt because of my drinking and driving....
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome back.

I myself have 3 dui's and wasnt ready to surrender. We all get here when were supposed to.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got 2 DUI's in 2 months so I can relate. Many things are up in the air in my life but one thing is not. I will not drink. Do not isolate yourself as much as your mind is telling you too. It is your disease talking and it wants to kill you. Get around people that are supportive and face what ever they have to say to you.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After my 3rd DUI in 25 years, I have resolved that I will never drink and drive again. I got away with it thousands of times. Thank God no one ever got hurt. My guardian angel must be watching over me to assure that I can experience more of this earthly trip. But, no, I don't really believe such nonsense.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post & welcome back.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice to see Im not alone on my DUIs. I have felt so much shame and guilt over them. I wish they wouldnt publish these things in the paper. best of luck to all posting here.....
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bri

Thank you! I literally almost cried reading the posts! I thought I would get a lot of crap over the relapses. Come to find out this really is a community of supportive ppl that have been through this crap. Thank you all!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Bri!

I originally signed up for SR under a different username and password in June of 2011, that time I made it 16 days and didnt get back on until this March, for all of one day, and in September again one day.

The night of October 11th and decided I am done. I work full time and have three amazing kids and I need to be fully present at work and at home. I am on Day 32 today and have been on SR every day. I also went to education classes through my insurance, and I am working with a counselor. For the outside I appeared to be a successful working mother, however, on the inside I was a mess.

I have found the people on this site to be amazing. Keep reading and posting, and stick with the one day at a time attitude. Sending hugs and positive thoughts.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome back brian.

No drink driving offences for me,only because I was never caught.

Wishing you well.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Welcome back brian.

No drink driving offences for me,only because I was never caught.

Wishing you well.
I know all about not being caught... I did receive one DUI a little over 15 years ago while I was still in school (tequila and beer pong night) but none since... Up until about a month ago, I was driving over the "legal" limit pretty much every night.... 6 beers for the half hour ride home from work so that my wife wouldn't know I already had a head start when I'd start it up at home...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
instant

Brian- welcome back- great choice- life can be better
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, there were so many times I should have been caught. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise that I did. I couldnt forgive myself if I hurt someone.