Notices

Feels like it is getting harder

Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feels like it is getting harder

Hi everyone. Yesterday was hard for me. We went to my partner's brothers house and his wife is a big drinker so I guess that was difficult for me. She is actually a pretty good drinker in that you really never see her drunk--and she always seems in control. I guess she just drinks her wine slowly? Who know? I have no idea if she has a "problem" or not--all I know is when I see her drinking a lot it brings back memories of me drinking with her. She doesn't know I have stopped drinking so offered me a drink a few times. I am sure she would be fine with knowing--maybe I should have told her?

Today is day 17, having only drank 3 times since Aug 18th. But this is the first time in that period that I am not deluding myself into thinking that maybe someday I could be a social drinker.

I know my current life situation makes it hard. It would be hard for anyone, newly sober or not. I can't use that as an excuse to drink any longer though. I feel like if I don't get this now I never will as things are just going to get worse and harder with my daughter. It is such a joy to have her and spend time
with her. But not knowing what her future brings is hard. And watching her struggle to do daily activities is hard. Watching her lose skills she worked so
Hard to get is hard. And sometimes not drinking to "cope" is hard.

Luckily it's not impossible. I didn't drink this weekend. I won't drink today.

Thanks all for being here.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

SavingSelf: What I have found is that there is no challenge in life that will not be made worse if I drink over it.

You did great by not using that difficult occasion as an excuse. Good for you!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17 days, you seem to have a firm grasp on your situation and what needs to be done, doesn't mean it's going to be easy but being prepared mentally and being sober will allow you to handle whatever the future brings a lot easier. Stay strong!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Your post is why the concept of a, "Day at a time is so important." Today is all we need to worry about. All I need to do is stay sober today. I need to do what is necessary. In my case I pray in the morning for a day of sobriety, I talk to another alcoholic, I attend an AA meeting, and I give thanks for a day of sobriety when I go to bed. We can not control the future but we can control ourselves
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Your post is why the concept of a, "Day at a time is so important." Today is all we need to worry about. All I need to do is stay sober today. I need to do what is necessary. In my case I pray in the morning for a day of sobriety, I talk to another alcoholic, I attend an AA meeting, and I give thanks for a day of sobriety when I go to bed. We can not control the future but we can control ourselves

You are so right. We have been trying to live "a day at a time" due to our daughter's medical issues. I am also tying to do that with sobriety too. I can't get to a meeting until Thurs this week. Also plan on going Saturday too. I was thinking I would wait a few weeks before asking someone to be my sponsor. But maybe I will do that sooner.

This weekend we have a wedding and that has always been a big drinking event/trigger in the past. In fact it is a close family member so there will
be a few drinking events. I will def. share in meeting about that and maybe even use the phone #s I have if needed.

Today I won't drink. I will make sure I have a plan in case I am tempted during the wedding.

Thanks again all.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Weddings and receptions are different things. The wedding is the important part.

My son got married this summer and I told him I would be at the reception until I felt uncomfortable. He was fine with that because he would much rather have a sober father than have me at the reception.

I did not go to any wet events until I had been sober for a few years because I put nothing absolutley nothing in front of my sobriety
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I won't drink at the wedding but I may be uncomfortable. My daughter is in the wedding and it will be her first wedding she attends. I am not going to miss it. I have attended functions and been without alcohol (I think I attended 3 weddings while pregnant).

While I don't plan on hanging out at bars, I really want to see my daughter at both the wedding and the reception.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by SavingSelf View Post
I know I won't drink at the wedding but I may be uncomfortable. My daughter is in the wedding and it will be her first wedding she attends. I am not going to miss it. I have attended functions and been without alcohol (I think I attended 3 weddings while pregnant).

While I don't plan on hanging out at bars, I really want to see my daughter at both the wedding and the reception.
The wedding is fine. I am questioning the reception
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand why you are questioning. And I appreciate it. My daughter may not live long and I would like her to experience as many things as possible--including wedding receptions. Perhaps silly on my part? I just know there is no way I am not going and now just need to make sure I don't drink.