How can I be there?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How can I be there?

So, today was a good day. Took my son to see his dad and we had an awesome time. I get a call about 30 minutes ago and my x is saying he is disappointed in himself because he had a great day and then thinks about using or drinking afterwards... He feels like a failure. He still can't forgive himself for everything he's done to his child and me and how he loves us more than anything... He's scared. He started crying and apologizing for feeling this way and for all the hurt and damage he has caused. How he just wants be a great father and bf. He doesn't know why I even talk to him, because I should hate him. But, keep in mind he's almost three months sober and in rehab... He's never made it this far... He's afraid of the " what next " he's used to living in failure and that's where he is comfortable. I told him its ok to feel this way and its normal. He's never had to deal with his emotions and this is all new and real. I told him also, that he is going to have these thoughts but he has to find ways to overcome them... I don't know what the best approach is to help him through this... Any advice?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have the lovely Dr Jeckyll there. Its amazing how they change. Be supportive of him. He is trying and on the right track but beware Mr Hyde is still alive and kicking in there babes. He has a long way to go before he kills that monster. Be prepared for his reappearance! But supportive of him as long as he is trying.

Big hugs.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My ex during his moments of soberity would feed me the same lines, I swear that they have a manual that they all refer to.

He is in rehab, he gets all the help he needs right there. Don't get sucked in by his words, actions are all that matter.

Go about your life, you cannot help him.