Notices

Husband is currently in rehab

Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband is currently in rehab

My husband is currently in rehab. He is almost done with the detox program. I am actually proud of him because he is doing really well. He has been taking pain killers for the last 2 years, but recently started getting bad about 8 months ago. I finally kicked him out and told him I was done and started filing for a divorce. This woke him up. He still continued to use, but then called about going to a rehab. This was a surprise for everyone. We have 2 kids together and I do not think he wants to lose us. Because of this addiction, our love has fallen apart and I want it back together. My only question is, how do I deal with him when he gets out? How do I keep him away? His family abuses pain killers. He knows so many people and can get them easy. I don't know how to keep him away from it unless I have to be strict on everything. Any advice?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR taylynn...Alcohol was my problem...But my wife left me before I'd go to rehab...I wasn't done drinking yet...As sick as that may sound. The most important thing for him will be his recovery plan and support he has when he gets out...Changing where he hangs out...And who he hangs out with. Hopefully they are getting him ready for something in rehab...I was introduced to Alcoholics Anonymous...And it saved my life...He may want to look into Narcotics Anonymous when he gets out...If he doesn't already know what it is...Recovery is a lot easier...When you are around people doing the same thing.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I think it's best he stays away from those who are using.
He will need to do it for himself however but your support I'm sure will be good.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm trying to support him as much as possible, but sometimes I feel like this is not what I want to do. It's been going on for 2 years. The lies is what hurt me the most. I'm just thinking thatbhe will relapse if I'm too strict but that's how I keep him away from it. No truck, no cell phone. Only the house phone. Ugh. Idk.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My suggestion is to do none of those things. It's not your job. It's his job to stay sober.

If you don't trust him, then you need to set boundaries for yourself that protect you.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, that is probably what I am going to do. I am just mad that it went this far and now I am trying to pay bills along with both of our trick payments. We have 2 kids. 3 and 6 months old. I'm not getting any help either. I don't know if I should feel this way or not.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One day at a time. His recovery is his job, taking care of you is yours. Prayers to you both. It can work, but it takes work.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. We need all the prayers we can get. This is day #5 now. It's hard. Haven't even heard from him at all today. That makes it harder on me because then I worry.