Notices

It seemed impossible

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It seemed impossible

Hi everyone, just got through weekend number 14 sober it's getting easier every week and reading all the stories on this site is such a great help. When I began this journey I did not truly believe I could make it this far, the prospect of quitting alcohol all together seemed like trekking mt everest - and I only drank on the weekends!! I have been trying to figure out what was different to my many sunday morning pledges this time around and I think it happened because that final weekend I had promised myself I wasn't going to drink, I really wanted a clean happy weekend, I ended up getting sh!tfaced drunk, taking drugs and completely humiliating myself, I was beyond disappointed with my actions. So I guess I just wanted to let those fellow binge drinkers and others that may have felt the same as me, at the very beginning of their journey know, that while I am still in the early stages of recovery, every single day after that particular weekend has been 100 times more fulfilling, fun & happier, I have spent this past 14 weeks discovering who I really am and the type of people I want in my life, it's been very challenging at times but when I think about how I felt that morning, everything gets put back into perspective. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Keep going, it's worth it
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have a great attitude and that is the half battle. I like the Everest
analogy,it is so very true. I think the self discovery aspect is key as well since the energy goes into a positive outlet.We are just different people away from the A.
I wish you continued success.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your enthusiasm is contagious! I feel the same and I've only done my 3rd weekend sober. Work is easier to get up for & with the exception of the first week, the snooze button on my alarm is redundant! Can't wait till I have your time behind me.

Thanks for posting these encouraging words.

S x
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You got it right Jungle girl, it was ridiculous how bad we felt "feeling good."

Congrats on the three months plus sober time!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Great post JungleGirl-congrats on your progress
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

JungleGirl,

That's one of the best progress reports I've read in a while. I'm so happy for you.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, this site honestly makes it so much easier, knowing that I am not alone. I wish the very best for all of you on your journey!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey- I'm new- like, 5 days sober new! Just wanna say how inspired I am by your achievement. I keep in mind that for as many countless times as I've woken up regretting my choices to drink the night before (and the food I ate, and the sleep I lost, and the person I woke up with, and ...etc), there's never once been a morning I woke up sober and thought "Dang, I really wish I'd gone out for some drinks last night!"
But yeah, five days in, I realize that it's somethin I gotta start over each morning. Not look to far ahead, and not try to rationalize when I'll next be okay to have a beer.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(and the food I ate, and the sleep I lost, and the person I woke up with, and ...etc), there's never once been a morning I woke up sober and thought "Dang, I really wish I'd gone out for some drinks last night!"
inspiredanew! hehe that's so true I am the same, don't look too far forward small victory's will win the war