An odd question

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An odd question

Can opiate addicts inject into their mouth/lip? My ABF came home this afternoon with a HUGE bottom lip which was causing his neck to swell a little also. This has happened twice before.. He always says he got hit in the mouth with a board (he was helping build something) or wrestling with his brother..things like that. He was acting a little unusual. I noticed him taking really deep breaths through his nose and his eyelids were very heavy around 6 pm when he said he was going to bed. Also noticed body motions changed and similar to when he is high. I guess if a dentist can inject into your mouth an addict can to??
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

An old time horror picture star Bella Lagoise (sp?) was an IV user, he injected H into his gums.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a heroin user (well x user thank god) and it might not be that he is shooting it into his lip, but a histamine response which is making his lip and neck swell. Many people who inject get histamine reactions and hands get puffy and on occasion face/neck. It is basically an allergic reaction and will probably go away quickly (versus an actual bruise or injury).

That being said I wouldn't put it past someone to shoot in their lip. I know of people who shot into their neck, veins in the face, and even genitals. Sorry for sharing that, but just giving you some perspective.

If it was a one time thing I would say okay maybe a coincidence, but since you said it has happened twice before sounds like a dead giveaway. If he was smart he would get some Benadryl, but us addicts ain't too bright when it comes to shooting dope.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies! Marcus, I have never heard of that before now! His lip always looks raw when this happens, but he also picks at it and told me tonight that he poked it with a needle to try to reduce the swelling. A couple of hours later and he was acting totally blasted out of his mind. Talking to noone, singing and humming, walking around and swaying side to side, then he'd stop and look over at me(I pretended to be asleep) and would mumble something then in a creepy voice I heard him say something followed by "for you". Gave me the chills for sure. After about an hour of this I woke up his mom who we live with and she asked him if he was high and he told her he was just acting drunk, and that he told me this. Then why the hell is he acting exactly the way he does when he is using?? Because he IS! I'm rambling I know. Is it possible for addicts to "sober up" in front of certain people.. or just cover it up better?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

So how are the meetings coming along? Have you read Codependent No More? The stickeys at the top of this forum and cynical one's blogs?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

His mother is in denail, a very dangerous place to be. You KNOW the truth, listen to your insticts. I learned never to doubt mine again.

If he was clean and sober, there would be no doubt in your mind.

What are you going to do for you and your kids?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have read the stickies, and keep reading the threads. I haven't gone to a meeting yet. I know he is using and will be leaving today with my children. I actually looked under the mattress last night(very codependent) and found nothing. I looked under the mattress this morning again and found two syringes. Yep, there's my solid proof. Not that I should need any because I need to learn to trust my instincts. Theyve never really been wrong before. He's still up by the way, never slept last night. Kept me up most of the night as well. Trying to convince me that he hasn't used. Saying he will go take a test this morning and then I WILL apologize. That I'm his enemy, that he doesn't like this side of me and misses the old me.. Blah blah blah. I just told him I pray for him every night, and not much else.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What about YOU?
This bloke was high by the sound of it.
What are you doing to help you.
Do something nice for you today that doesnt include worrying over him n report back to us how you feel.
Hugs
Evey x
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry it has come to this but you're doing what's write for you n your kids. They could get hold of a needle n catch anything.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your doing the right thing if you haven't already please go get tested for STDS including Hep. C and B and HIV.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by eveleivibe View Post
Sorry it has come to this but you're doing what's write for you n your kids. They could get hold of a needle n catch anything.
Evel, how is your daughter? You never saiid her age, I don't think. What if she finds YOUR pills?? Are you going to stick with your "hey, every one dies any way" mantra!!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
Your doing the right thing if you haven't already please go get tested for STDS including Hep. C and B and HIV.
Yes get checked encase he's ever used a dirty needle.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your post! Isn't it amazing how much you learn about addiction! I feel like just when I think I can't possibly hear anything new, something else comes along. Your post is one of those moments, and makes me wonder if the hives my brother was suffering from a week after he left rehab could have been an allergic reaction to a drug. He said he thought it was a reaction from the meds they gave him in rehab. I questioned why he hadn't had a reaction earlier then. Stupid me.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think I have it bad. And then I come on SR and this stuff just leaves me in awe. Sorry about what you are dealing with easiersaid. I am sorry about what everyone is dealing with that's here.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

SSHope- my ABF has had several outbreaks of impetigo as well as staph infections from his IV drug use. He tends to deny that that is the cause, and so does his family, but ER doctors have asked him if he shoots up when they see him for the skin issues. Addiction is certainly a nasty, terrible thing. He is very angry and upset with me at the moment because I am "walking out on our family". But I'm tired of hearing the same old excuses and being made to feel like I am wrong. The syringes I found this morning aren't old ones he got out of his parents car from a month ago. I'm so so tired. But I'm very thankful to have found this site. You are all so helpful.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It amazes me how we begin to doubt our own eyes....i can tell the moment i see him if he has been using or not yet the amount of effort they put into their lies and then denying that they're lying we begin to question our own judgements....yet never once have i been wrong!!
You're doing the right thing hunny . Get yourself and your kids out of there! I can't imagine anything worse than seeing one of my babies holding a needle that their father has absent
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

....minded enough to leave them lying around because he's so wasted.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It isn’t just iv use that causes the skin issues…Especially with staph, impetigo, shingles…a friend of mine had shingles for months at the end of her run with Oxy. Also note that folliculitis is real common and in sub users there was a study on it and the instance of occurrence especially those on long term. It is though treated with antibiotics. There is also a Candida version of folliculitis found with heroin use…

My husband always had skin issues related to using whether he was taking pills, snorting or shooting H. It was almost one of them dead giveaways to him using. His skin went bad really fast and not on his face, but his back, arms, legs…

Swelling of lips, face and tongue are extremely dangerous, and should always be viewed as an allergic reactions which they are. Hives are different than bumps normally seen with staph or folliculitis. Hives look like welts, and hives are a sign of allergic reaction as well.

You can develop an allergy to anything at any time. You can take the same med/eat the same food for years and never have a reaction. All homes should have Benadryl in them.