Notices

can i recover from my alcohol addiction without AA???????

Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

can i recover from my alcohol addiction without AA???????

The title says it all, can i overcome my drinking problems without aa because i have been in aa before it just did not feel right for me! i know there is rr/avrt, smart, allen carrs easy way and counselling to name a few but can i genuinely recover with those methods and being on here???
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course you can. It depends upon your motivation, not the recovery method you choose.

Many of us here have recovered and are recovering without using AA.

I have used SR as my lifeline for many years. But, books have always played a huge role in my recovery.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep you can!
xx
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Yes, you can GENUINELY recover with the methods you mentioned. AA does not have a monopoly on recovery!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am. There are many other ways.

BUT I also told myself, that if I felt my alternate methods were not working, I promised myself I would try AA rather than fail.

To truly succeed, you have to do whatever it takes.
That being said, what did/ does help me, is:
•Alan Carrs Book The Easy Way to Stop Drinking
•AVRT/ Rational Recovery
•Daily posting on SR in a monthly quit class, supporting others on SR daily, and posting on morning and bedtime gratitude threads on SR daily.
•Telling key people in my life what I was doing. At least one in all three spheres of life: work, family and friends.
•Meditation
•Also read some AA literature
•I have had a history of therapy in the past that was very helpful, and I told myself that if I was not succeeding I would go back into therapy to add support. I haven't, but I would if needed.

I am sure others will give you helpful feedback too. Please listen.

Also, AA is very successful for those who follow the program. Meetings are just a part of that program. But if you don't want to use AA there are the options I mentioned, plus: SMART Recovery; LifeRing; and other things besides.

But we could write to you all day, Lion. None of it means anything unless you get started and get to work. Recovery is not something that just magically happens to you. It is something you must work on everyday. My best wishes to you.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The answer is yes. I believe the method you choose is a big factor in your success. It is important to make this life altering undertaking using methods, reasoning and judgment that resonates with your core beliefs and character traits and general attitude toward life. Putting yourself into a program or philosophy in which you can find no comfort zone is almost doomed to fail because of the strong human tendency to place blame outside of self, to find something with which to disagree.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most definitely! You should choose a method that fits your needs.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
The title says it all, can i overcome my drinking problems without aa because i have been in aa before it just did not feel right for me! i know there is rr/avrt, smart, allen carrs easy way and counselling to name a few but can i genuinely recover with those methods and being on here???

We Agnostics

"IN THE PRECEDING chapters you have learned something of alcoholism. We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."

We Agnostics, Alcoholics Anonymous

~

The book Alcoholics Anonymous conveys the idea that some of us may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.

Some of us...

may be...

suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.

Are you that someone that only a spiritual experience through a program like Alcoholics Anonymous will work for you to recover?

I don't know.

How is it going without AA?

How is it going without God?

There is so much good in AA.

I have learned so much from AA.

I have learned a new way of dealing, coping, living, I have found a way to stop drinking with AA, which led me to God, who solves my problem.

I have access to hundreds of members of Alcoholics Anonymous that have recorded talks and workshops, and I get to listen and learn and laugh and relate.

Why would anyone want to cut themselves off from this source?

It's baffling.

Cunning, baffling and powerful.

This disease wants us to seperate from anything that would help us.

Don't go to AA...

That's what the disease wants.

Don't do anything to help yourself kill the ego.

That's what the ego says.

I hope you find the way that is your path.

We all find our path.

Be encouraged!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

As you see of course you can..

For me though, AA has givin way way more to me than quitting drinking. I truly love my AA family and friends today..
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

I too believe that AA holds no monopoly on recovery, but I also believe that it's something that works for me personally. Like you, I didn't think it was a good fit for me the last time around. But as alcohol's grip on me increased, my perception and outlook changed.

That said, my personal opinion is that finding the recovery method that will work best for you is a process rather than a discrete event. So keep an open mind and educate yourself. Although AA has become a cornerstone for me, I also draw from many of the other methods you mention as well as a growing spirituality and positivity.

You may want to read "Sober for Good" by Ann M. Fletcher. The book collects information from a wide variety of "masters" - people with over 5 years sobriety - and discusses the myriad techniques they used to recover. If nothing else, it will give you a good idea of what some of your options may be.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
You mean quit drinking? ....... probably.

Have the promises of AA come true? ....... I look forward to hearing how you make out.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i know in my heart that sober is better for me. I'm grateful that I am.

that is my biggest foundation of recovery...i connect with others who understand here and other forums,they are not imaginary friends, they are people who have a common goal with me.

that is what works for me....i do read and take knowledge from others(and appreciate the information) but I don't feel the need to advertise my issues in meetings.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA works but it only seems to work for me if I make it my whole life and that's hard for me because although I understand that I must make recovery a priority, I want a life that seems a little more normal? Idk. Just saying I get why you would ask this. There are alternatives. The best program / method is whatever works for each individual!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Yes you can but I think it would be much harder. For me personally I know for a fact I kept trying to quit drinking and kept failing because I was trying to do it all by myself. I've read Allen Carrs book and while it's useful, in the heat of cravings and temptation I doubt it would keep me sober. Its my higher power that keep me sober because when I put Him first in my life everyday he does for me what I couldn't do for myself, stay sober. AA helps give support and teaches us how to care about others and to love again. A lot of addicts/alcoholics are control freaks and very headstrong people and I believe AA can help us get outside ourselves and care about others. Thats just why I go to AA and what I do for my sobriety. I totally recognize there are agnostic/athiests who can get and stay sober for longtimes and thats great, that just ain't me and never worked when I tried it over and over and over again.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Of course you can. If I did it you can do it too.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For Heaven's sake Yes. Secular routes to sobriety are not only for agnostics and atheists. I have a faith that is a constant part of my life, but AA could never play a part in my sobriety.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
We Agnostics

"IN THE PRECEDING chapters you have learned something of alcoholism. We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."

We Agnostics, Alcoholics Anonymous

~

The book Alcoholics Anonymous conveys the idea that some of us may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.

Some of us...

may be...

suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.

Are you that someone that only a spiritual experience through a program like Alcoholics Anonymous will work for you to recover?

I don't know.

How is it going without AA?

How is it going without God?

There is so much good in AA.

I have learned so much from AA.

I have learned a new way of dealing, coping, living, I have found a way to stop drinking with AA, which led me to God, who solves my problem.

I have access to hundreds of members of Alcoholics Anonymous that have recorded talks and workshops, and I get to listen and learn and laugh and relate.

Why would anyone want to cut themselves off from this source?

It's baffling.

Cunning, baffling and powerful.

This disease wants us to seperate from anything that would help us.

Don't go to AA...

That's what the disease wants.

Don't do anything to help yourself kill the ego.

That's what the ego says.

I hope you find the way that is your path.

We all find our path.

Be encouraged!
no need to preach. AA ISN"T for everybody.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No preaching here. I am not a preacher.

No need to judge me.

I am sharing my experience.