Notices

Finally Ready

Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Ready

I was reviewing my profile today and noticed that next week I will have been a member of the SR community for 1 year.

I would very much like to say I have 1 year of sobriety. I don't. In fact I am on another day one.

Why I am posting?

Several reasons.

One. to say thank you. There are truly are some amazing folks on this site. The support is incredible..

Two. I have learnt a great deal about myself over the past year. Part of this has come from my ability to see my struggle in others struggles. I am not alone.

Three. It is important to provide support to people going through this struggle. I like providing support.

As I reflect over the past year my 'block' has been my reluctance to admit to myself, 100%, that I have a problem with drinking. I have finally admitted it. For me I believe that is a turning point.

I post this today, because I hope others in the early part of the struggle will read this and know the importance of acceptance. It is critical.

Thank you all. I will need the support of the SR community as I move forward in this journey. I want to also give back as I move forward.

Jim
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Jim, and I'm glad you are ready for your last Day 1. You don't have to go through this again.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's good Jim...That you have identified the problem. I'm curious what you have tried in the last year....And what you are going to do...That's different?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi - I looked at my profile join date and it was just over two years.
I have 269 days and I am determined I will have a year! Nothing is going to stop me.

You can do it. Just take it one day at a time....believe me, they soon add up.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

SJ.... I liked that post for the honesty and warmth you projected.

I posted and you read that I have drank for 7 out of 39 days since October 1. I did not mention that 5 were in a row last week. I know how you must feel coming out of things.

I too have had some back and forth on what I can " handle".

I too have to remind myself I cannot handle any alcohol.

You will get to where you want to be. So will I.

You seem like an awesome guy.

Glad you are here and thanks for all the support you give me and others!

Ken
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Good to hear from you again Jim. I hope this is the start of a road to sobriety. We are all pulling for you. Do you have a plan?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I commend you for posting, even as you struggle with day 1 after day 1. But posting here are just words, when the proof is in the action. Not drinking.

I hope your written resolve here translates to success.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Carl...I understand that all too well..

Jim
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
I post this today, because I hope others in the early part of the struggle will read this and know the importance of acceptance. It is critical.
Absolutely! The only reason I managed to get sober in the end was that I stopped fighting. There will always be so nagging doubts and those thoughts which minimise my drinking problem. It's insane. But debating the alcoholic question doesn't solve any problems. Contact with other alcoholics really helps. Being able to identify with people and not being able to dismiss what is glaringly obvious really helps with that whole acceptance thing. I'm not sure I would ever have got to that point without SR. Glad you've got there too Jim x
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Jim! Reading your post reminds me of the opening of the old TV program, "Mission Impossible". Like "Your mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it, is.....!" Well it sounds like your mission is sobriety and we know that sobriety is not in any way "impossible". It's possible because we see lots of folks who have done it. And it sounds like you have accepted that "mission" and have taken that crucial first step. That first one. That's the big one and in some ways the trickiest one. And, as the Chinese say, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Congratulations on the beginning of that journey. You've got lots of companions here and elsewhere to journey with you. Stay close to them. It's possible to do it alone but it's better, and safer, to do it with others and also, if you can arrange it, with a friendly guide.

W.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Struggling on and off for years, I have finally and recently admitted that I am an alcoholic (not that anyone needs to use that word--but for me it is the most concise way to put it) and should not ever ingest alcohol again.

For me I don't think there will ever be a "should I try social drinking" moment again. Which is good because social drinking is what usually broke my non-drinking times in the past.

I do worry about the "aw, I am an alcoholic so just go ahead and drink" addictive voice that may pop up at some point. (Luckily it hasn't happened yet).

Tonight I am going to an AA meeting for the first time in 15 years. They few I attended all those years ago--I was so not ready and thus really didn't get anything out of them.

Even if I get nothing out of the actual meeting--for me to attend a meeting is a huge step for me.

Keep on posting and keep on trying. I know I will.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi Jim,

I have had the privilege and honor of getting to know you personally this past year. You have been a great source of support to me while I have been dealing with my own struggles in sobriety and life in general.

I am so glad to have known you. I am also glad you posted. I have great hopes for you.

I believe you are right, that one of the biggest hurdles in alcoholism is to accept that one can never drink again. Although, if I thought like that when I first quit I think it would have made things very difficult. Instead, I tried to concentrate on that day, or that weekend. I have a tendency to freak out over things that haven't even happened, and one of the great things of sobriety is clarity to see through that.

Glad you posted Jim.

Your friend,

Lost3000.