Notices

How do you feel?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you feel?

I was wondering if some long time recoverers could post their experiences during their recovery. Like how they felt physically,mentally, their biggest challenges, and positive change in your life. For example 1 week out, 1 month, 3, 6, 1 year. The longest Ive been sober in over a decade was 12 days and I felt strange, almost lucid and out of touch with reality. Im now on day 6.

Thank You
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't consider it long-term, but I have over two years sober. I blogged a lot of my early experiences:

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Musings on Alcohol, Drugs, Addiction and Recovery

I hope they provide some of the information you are searching for.

Six days is awesome. Hang tough!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first week was very difficult physically and mentally, and I was just able to do manage the basics at home. After ten days, I think things began to improve considerably. I had begun taking long walks every day and that was helping my well-being. At three months, I remember being absolutely blown-away that I had made it that far. I was so impressed with myself, and I knew I was going to be alright. I had a lot of trouble dealing with the guilt and shame and it actually took me most of the first year to be able to get to a peaceful place with myself.

One thing I knew for sure is that the recovery journey is ongoing. It changes, of course. It's no longer about not drinking, but about how to live the best life I can. Congratulations on your 6 days sober.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Daggon Carl 2 years is a dream for me. Anna thanks. Are you both more happy with your lives? Ive always had depression and manic episodes which is making this journeyreally an emotionsl rollercoaster. I have so many decisions to make in my marriage, career, and possibly moving back to my home country but m mind seems to change on these issues from one minute to the next. Any ideas on a benchmark of my sobriety when I should consider making any big changes?
Thank you
Also how has everyones lives changed for the better? Do you always live with the fear of going back to the bottle or have you gotten to the point wherr you have moved on? Since I started drinking I have isolated myself from everyone. Has your relationships improved?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lastchance I quit 14 years ago and although I won't comment on early recovery as I believe everyone is an individual and deals with there own challenges.

Long term though I no longer have a fear of drinking again it's more like a healthy respect. I avoid situations involving alcohol when I can and if I can't avoid it then I only go if I have an escape route which for me involves a plan as to how I can leave and my own transportation. If this cannot be achieved I do not go. Although the cravings are rare now I still have to be prepared to react.

Also I make sure my close friends are aware of the fact that I don't drink. I'm fortunate to be of an age that peer pressure does not come into play anymore as that would present a situation where a specific plan would be required.

If this seems like a lot, remember that I've built this over the years. It falls into place the longer you are sober. But IMO opinion the most important thing is a plan that included all expected and most unexpected situations. But it truly is a lifelong commitment.

Although it's been 14 years I still do it one day at a time.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am still a newbie as well, closing out day 27. This is the longest I have gone without alcohol since pregnancy.

I felt on edge the first week, and I did get bad migraines one week, but that may have just been stress related.

The positive changes so far are:
-Being fully present with my kids
-Not having that foggy feeling when I need to make decisions at work
-Able to exercise more because I am not in a rush to pop open a bottle of wine, or too hungover/tired to go.
-journaling positive things each day

Day six is great, you almost have a week, and I agree with Zanzibar about focusing on one day at a time. If I try to start thinking about never drinking again it seems overwhelming, but each day thinking I am not drinking today helps.

I hope to get to the point when I am not aware if exactly how many days it has been p, but I am not there yet.

Keep reading and posting here it helps!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Daggone. Just read through your blog. Im posting like crazy today because the 6th day seems to always be around my breaking point and I can feel my mind slowly trying to convince itself that its ok to drink again. Your blog about different milestones of your sobriety have been a great help. It seems you have had great success and regular posting, research and sharing your story has seemed to work for you so I am hoping if I follow that formula I may also be successfull.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am only on day eight, and honestly, I feel great and I'm not even tempted. I think I may be in that happy discovery phase and that hard times and cravings doubtless do lie in my future, but only time will tell. Making a week is a huge milestone for me, and I'm "high" just off of that. Looking forward to your week post tomorrow!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am only 8 months and it is only 4 in the morning here so lots of work to do. But hech might as well do it.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lastchance84 View Post
Ive always had depression and manic episodes which is making this journeyreally an emotionsl rollercoaster.
Depression adds another dimension to your recovery, but I don't think it makes it impossible. I'm under the belief that you can't effectively treat it, though, while actively drinking.

Early recovery is a roller coaster of emotions. But compounded with existing problems makes it a double whammy. Have you seen a doctor?

As I wrote in one of my blogs, I am only an expert in my own recovery. Find what works for you. Your failures will tell you what isn't working. Eliminate those things from your journey.

This current recovery journey started when I had a moment of clarity about how bad my drinking had gotten. Call it a lucid moment. I clung to that lucid moment when my thoughts turned to drinking, because such thoughts are the insanity of this addiction. Listening to the voice that tells you that you don't have a problem is listening to the voice of insanity.

If you want to be sober, don't drink. Everything else will fall into place.

Good luck.