Notices

Mrs old fashion was at it again

Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mrs old fashion was at it again

I'll get it right one of these days. The harder I try the worse I get. I'm getting teased at work for offering to work for anyone who want off. We get paid on for selling homes not sitting in the office. It keeps me out of the bars when I work alot. Today I said I would sell tickets for the animal shelter raffle. I get to sit in the grocery store to do this. It's so cold here today. I should want hot chocolate not an old fashion.
Be safe everyone.
Diana
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Diana - it does get better. Your taking some steps to keep you away from bars. Do you have any support system in place? AA? Counseling?
I know for me, if I didn't have people who were just like me, trying to stay sober, to talk to, I wouldn't have made it.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go Diana on keeping yourself busy and focused! Pippa's right, a support system is a must. Whatever your chosen method of recovery is, having like-minded people to relate with will make all the difference in the world.

Regarding your comment that you "should want hot chocolate, not an old fashion" --don't should all over yourself! You're an alcoholic, of course you want an old fashion, there's nothing wrong with that! It's what you choose to do with that desire that's important. You're choosing a better way. You're choosing to live your life, and that's a daily victory!

Hang in there, it really does get better!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Diana, I can relate to your comment about the harder you try, the worse you get. That's exactly what happened to me. I found that if I shifted my thinking, it helped. I started thinking about how positive it would be to not drink, rather than what I was giving up. I stopped looking at it as losing something, but rather gaining something incredibly important.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Remember that giving up alcohol is like your best friend dying. There are stages of grief and the first 2 are denial and anger. It is natural. Anna is right. I had to change my thinking as well. Try making a gratitude list of the the good things about not drinking. It will help you change your mind set to positive thoughts.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

You are doing the right things to keep yourself sober. Keep it up.