Notices

Day 5....

Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5....

Here we go with day 5. I've been doing good for the most part, keeping positive, feeling better each day. Certainly not easy though. Had one big burst of mental anger over feeling how "unfair" it was that I couldn't just have a drink like other people do, but got that under control pretty quickly by remembering the after effects of what it is like when I have "one" drink, I mean bottle. Took a deep breath and moved on.

Made my first solo excursion to the store yesterday, probably not wise but it turned out fine, I had no trouble walking by the seemingly endless shelves of alcohol. Washington state just passed the law to allow alcohol in grocery stores last year, before that it was easier to avoid the hard stuff, now it is everywhere. I shouldered on, got the stuff off my list and tried to turn a blind eye to it all.

Physically feeling much better from days 1 and 2, although I can still see some withdrawal symptoms popping up. Night sweats... ugh. NOT a fun way to wake up. I'll take that over being in the hospital or a grave though.

I haven't posted for the last 2 days but have been reading a lot. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful posts and for trying to keep us all pointed in the right direction!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job!!! Day seven here. Better every day. I need to go to the store but have avoided because it'll be hard. Tomorrow I must, though. If you can do it, I think I can, too!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Parrotice23 View Post
Made my first solo excursion to the store yesterday, probably not wise but it turned out fine, I had no trouble walking by the seemingly endless shelves of alcohol. Washington state just passed the law to allow alcohol in grocery stores last year, before that it was easier to avoid the hard stuff, now it is everywhere. I shouldered on, got the stuff off my list and tried to turn a blind eye to it all.
My state, CT, made alcohol sales legal on sundays two weeks after I quit! I used to drive an hour every sunday to another state to buy booze on sundays because I never had enough. It's ironic for sure... so happy to not do it! Take care today and great work on the 5 days of being sober! It will just get better and better...!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job, Parrotice!
I went to the store yesterday too, and wanted a drink so bad. Luckily, where I live, they dont sell alcohol on election day! That was a sign from God. I'm now on day 7 and aside from the craving yesterday (that lasted a mere 10 minutes), I feel great.
Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The physical side effects should be trimming down, what plan do you have for dealing with the mental effects long term?

Good job on 5 days!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys... it's nice feeling more positive about life and focusing on things other then when the next drink is going to come from. I can remember trying to plan ahead just to be able to drink a certain amount - like, oh, I want to go to that concert, but we'll get home after midnight, and I'll still want to drink... so how can I get alcohol into the house without having to ask to stop at the store on the way home from the show with no real reason... or waking up the morning for those events and feeling like... ugh... if I feel this crappy now, how am I going to feel tonight??

Hoping to introduce all sorts of new thoughts to my brain like what can I cook to bring to family gatherings.... where can we go on vacation next year (it was suggested I should avoid Las Vegas, ha ha).
Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Parrotice,

You're doing well. Just remember to take it slowly and one day at a time. As the time progresses you will feel better on both a physical and mental level.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome! I'm on day 6 so right by your side. We can do this.

Cali has alcohol in grocery stores and gas stations and everywhere else... I hate that sometimes. Lucky for me, the obsession to drink went away a couple years ago after I struggled for a long time. It does get easier.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BabyJane, I moved to Washington from Cali (about 2 years ago) so I know exactly what you are talking about. I lived about 6 blocks away from a Stater Bros too so I didn't even have to debate about driving if I was 'questionable', I just walked on over. A little too convenient!! Good job on your day 6!