Notices

Impatient

Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Impatient

As time goes on, I realize that it's hard to get out of your old ways of thinking/dealing. Harder than I thought. Impatient. Wanting everything to just fall into place. Everything to be right. I'm impatient. And impulsive. I want to feel better right now. Don't think, just drink. Yea, I'm struggling.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Carly, what's going on?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Learning patience was tough for me too Carly...but things will fall into place...in their own time...and it does get easier...

Having patience and letting things go actually made life a little less stressful in the end I think because I gave up trying to control every aspect of my life?

stay with it

D
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not feeling so good....
Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you have people to call when you get those thoughts Carly?
You'll find support here anyway.

A drink will not help any of those problems. It's not going to make you feel better right now...with the effort you've put into your recovery it's unlikely tom make you feel good at all.

I'm sorry for what has obviously been a rough time...but you'll be glad to wake up sober Carly

D
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know. A sober life is so much better. I've lived it for a short amount of time. But, it's hard to not want to drink. It's like "Why can't I drink sometimes? Other people do...." But, I know why I shouldn't. Doesn't stop me from wanting to, though...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Reminds me of one of my favorite prayers.

God grant me patience,
and I want it right now!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're right a sober life is a lot better, and you're also right in that it's very hard. But unfortunately this is part of it, but before you know it the initial cravings will get weaker. We're in the same time zone so I assume you're having trouble getting to sleep as it's 1:00AM. How long has it been?

That's funny Awuh!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's not so much the sleep thing. My job is very physically demanding right now, so I'm pretty tired. It's the whole dealing with emotions...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find it hard to sleep when I'm upset about something. Alcohol just puts you to sleep, sooner or later...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes it does but it also increases other problems that cause lack of sleep and more stirred emotions down the road. When I get like this I always try to remember all the negatives that the drinking caused. I don't think you really want to go back there again.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're right. I know this. It's like two sides of my brain are battling with each other. The good side knows that if I don't drink, everything will end up better, but the bad side want's to drink.....that "bad" side can be very convincing sometimes...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It'll come together Carly.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Carly! When you have the urge to drink, I hope you'll come here first, like you did tonight. That is awesome. You can do it!

Remember when it gets tough - This too shall pass.... Suffering is part of life. We must accept certain amounts of discomfort as the natural ebb and flow of the universe - without bad there would be no good, without great sorrow and pain there would be no great happiness or joy.

Do not give up. You are stronger than that.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with BabyJane. I am glad you came here. I too, am impatient and impulsive. I want things when I want them. It is tough when you have a great need for things to be sorted and sane, but sometimes it doesn't happen at the pace we want it too.

I read a quote the other day, something along the lines of, "If we didn't fall apart, we couldn't put ourselves back together the way we want to be, the way we were intended to be."

So consider this a journey, and at the end, you are slowing putting it all back together. It will never be tidy, but better.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Patience is one of those things I struggle with a lot. As soon as I got clean the first time around I expected everyone to give me a pat on the back and bend over backwards to accommodate my needs. It didn't happen. I didn't get the Range Rover that I wanted. I got the beautiful, if slightly damaged fiance though. Now I know I have to be patient for the good things in life. I also completely defined my understanding of the word good. Nothing changes when we get clean and sober. We just have to work as hard as we can and good things will come.