Notices

New

Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hi just wanted to introduce myself to everyone on the forum. Im 29 and I have been a heavy drinker for about 13 years. Like most people I have been through the works, Car crashes,near death experiences, jail, embarrasing moments, bankrupc and loss of trust from most that care about me the most. Im almost 3 days sober after drinking for 4 days straight and blowing about 3000 dollars. I have tried to quit many times and after about a week i talk myself and people around me into the fact its ok for me to drink again. I have lived away from home for about 5 years so Im hoping to get some support here as I know I cant do it alone. Nice to meet everyone.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, lastchance. You will find wonderful support, hope, and encouragement here. You aren't alone with this - we all understand what you're going through.

I wish at 29 I had done what you're doing. My whole life would have been so different. I kept trying to manage the amounts I drank - with disastrous results for me and many others in my life. Congratulations on making this life changing decision. You can do this.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevy. I am determined to make this happen but its hard to imagine my life without ever drinking again. Does it get better?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Do you have a plan, aside from the use of your willpower, in order to stop drinking?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((lastchance)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here. You are not alone. Keep reading and posting.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
We are here for you.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

LastChance, I will echo Hevyn's thoughts about doing this at 29 instead of years later-such a good move on your part! Wish I had made that move, but better late than never.

You have to really commit to a plan for quitting or it doesn't stick very well. Learning about recovery methods will help. I had never heard of AVRT or urge surfing and some of the techniques in those programs have helped me immensely. Read all about them on the forums here.

Yes, it gets better
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, LastChance and welcome to SR!!
So far, in my recovery process, I have found other things to do (things I used to do before alcohol consumed my life) and so far, these past 4 days have been amazing. I most certainly could not have done this without SR. This weekend was the first weekend I have been sober in 9 years. I craved alcohol yesterday (bc I'm used to drinking and watching football with my husband) but, I just waited it out and the cravings passed.
Congratulations on your first step into a better, clearer, healthier life!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone. I live oversess so does anyone know some good onlinemeetings? I dont know about AA and Im very interested in some of the newer hollistic approaches. As for my plan right now my only plan is to stay sober but its difficult because I think my wife and her family dont understand alchoholism. They think its weakness of the mind. They know I have issues but like my wifes dad said, just drink less. I have tried drinking less hundreds of times and it just doesnt work. Thats why im hoping to share my experiences with people going through the same thing as me. Thank you everyone.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, there's loads of others from overseas here read around you'll find them. There's also information here for AVRT and other programs as well in the secular forum. Alcoholism is by no means weakness of the mind.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lastchance - It definitely does get better, or I wouldn't have been able to stay the course. Naturally, in the beginning you feel a little strange - after all, we've relied on it to see us through for years. Even when it wasn't working it's magic, it was what we were used to. Learning to live again in a different way is hard - but I'm quite sure you'll love the new you. It's such a relief to be free of it.

My family was the same - just drink less - 'why do you have to drink the whole bottle, just have a glass'! Um, because I have no off switch. It's so hard to explain - that's why SR is wonderful for people like us.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by lastchance84 View Post
Thanks for your support everyone. I live oversess so does anyone know some good onlinemeetings? I dont know about AA and Im very interested in some of the newer hollistic approaches. As for my plan right now my only plan is to stay sober but its difficult because I think my wife and her family dont understand alchoholism. They think its weakness of the mind. They know I have issues but like my wifes dad said, just drink less. I have tried drinking less hundreds of times and it just doesnt work. Thats why im hoping to share my experiences with people going through the same thing as me. Thank you everyone.
There is nothing more holistic than AA and that is why it works. AA treats the whole person not just putting the plug in the jug