Notices

Gaining back trust

Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gaining back trust

Hi,
This is my first post to the forum so hello everyone! I'm a female junior in college and trying to deal with a vicodin addiction thats recently gotten out of hand. I mean, its always been out of hand but this is the first time I've really faced consequences. I've been using vicodin since I was 16 or so, so about five years. I've always been limited by quantity so I never became physically dependent, but when I'm around it I feel like I can't control myself.
What happened was that a very close friend of mine had her tonsils removed and was given liquid percocet to manage the pain. I was left alone with the percocet and felt absolutely compelled to drink it. Not that I'm saying it's not my fault, just that in that moment I had no control. So I drank some, and then some more later. I felt bad the next week so I told my friend about it. She was very understanding and urged me to tell my parents/get help, which I did.
The dilemma is this: I was planning on living with her and some other friends next year, but after this she doesn't trust me enough to live with after this. We are still very close, but she is uncomfortable living me with. On my part, I feel so so so so bad that this happened that I am absolutely determined to get help/be clean. I told my parents, which was really hard, and I am seeing a drug counselor. I am very intent on never hurting anyone like this again. I would still like to live with her, I just don't know how to make her see that I am very very determined to change. How can I regain her trust? There's a limited time window as everyone is signing leases. I just don't know what to say to her so she can trust that I'll be clean by the time we move in next August.
Thanks everyone for reading this, it's the longest post on a forum that I've ever made. Have a good night!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

welcome backpacksnack!

First off, congratulations for recognizing your problem and taking action! It's not easy to be honest with the people who care about us. You're doing the right thing by dealing with it now, though. It always gets worse if we don't.

I'm sorry this has affected your potential living arrangements. Have you told your friend what you're doing to get/stay sober? Maybe she'll come around as she sees that you're serious about this, but as you said, there's a time constraint. Maybe it would be wise to start looking at some backup plans....(?)

Glad you're here!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

trust is broken easy and hard to regain. it is something that takes footwork and T.I.M.E.

dont say anything. show it with action.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome I agree fully with Tom We have to truly change first and after that it's completely in the other persons hands as to if and when they trust us again. There's really no other way.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard to build a bridge and easy to burn, but even harder to rebuild.