Notices

Day One

Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

I'm a high-functioning alcoholic. I've been dating a man for nearly 4 years who has been a HVA for many years. Since being with him, my alcohol intake has gradually increased until I am now drinking most or all of a bottle of wine every evening - mostly at home alone after work.

I don't meet typical criteria for alcohol abuse or dependency. I've never missed a day of work, had any legal, financial, medical, or psychiatric problems, made a fool of myself in public, driven while drunk etc. No one has ever complained about my drinking. I've never had an eye-opener (morning drinking) and I don't get hangovers. Never any physical withdrawal symptoms on the rare day when I don't drink. No one has ever indicated that it was a problem. Most people would be extremely surprised to learn that I am a daily drinker. So why am I here?

Well, I broke up with my boyfriend last night. For many reasons, but the alcohol was one of the big ones. I've had enough. So, today is my first day of sobriety. I'm familiar with withdrawal symptoms and know how to handle them should they occur (I'm actually a medical professional who teaches this stuff). I also know that the psychological cravings are likely to be worse than the physical symptoms. And last longer. So, I'm here for emotional support and encouragement. This post is my commitment to stay dry.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is an HVA?

I don't get hangovers. Never any physical withdrawal symptoms on the rare day when I don't drink.
Actually these are two characterstics of early alcoholism. Source: the book Under the Influence by James Robert Milam and Katherine Ketcham. Highly recommended.

Good luck on your decision to stop. There is a ton of great support here.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR ashamedhfa

D
Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know what an HVA is either??

Welcome!

I'm glad you decided to live a sober life. There is lots of support here.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR ashamed. I'm glad you've made the decision to have a better and healthier life. I wish I'd seen what I was doing to myself before my world turned upside down.

I once was able to claim all the things that you do - no morning drinking, missing work, etc. Over the years my tolerance for alcohol grew, though. I used to feel high and happy with a drink or two. In the end, I was drinking all day. I never dreamed such a thing could happen to me. Glad you are seeing that things need to change - and are taking control.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
It sounds like you are knowledgeable and self-aware which is wicked awesome!
And the way I see it you've realized you've had a problem before you've had an seriously negative consequences and that's great. Why get burned by the fire to learn if you don't have to?
I've found replacing something with drinking--running, baking, reading...any hobby you enjoy has helped lessen the psychological cravings. Fruit helps with the physical asepct
Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HVA was actually just a typo. I meant HFA: high-functioning alcoholic.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!