Working Step 10

Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working Step 10

"A.A. Way of Life - Working Steps 10 and 11
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

It wasn't until only a few months ago did I really start to understand the power and depth that these two steps have. Some call them (along with the 12th) "maintenance" steps. I disagree - these are growth steps. It wasn't until I started to firmly plant my feet into these did I realize just how far I could get into this - the freedom, the understanding, the utter surrender and relationship with my HP that I got only glimpses of while working the other steps. I am learning discipline and dedication with these steps. I am starting to find that "unshakable foundation" for my life...and when I don't do these steps, I find myself off centre!

Thanks for posting this - a great reminder to how incredible this journey is.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
It wasn't until only a few months ago did I really start to understand the power and depth that these two steps have. Some call them (along with the 12th) "maintenance" steps. I disagree - these are growth steps. It wasn't until I started to firmly plant my feet into these did I realize just how far I could get into this - the freedom, the understanding, the utter surrender and relationship with my HP that I got only glimpses of while working the other steps. I am learning discipline and dedication with these steps. I am starting to find that "unshakable foundation" for my life...and when I don't do these steps, I find myself off centre!

Thanks for posting this - a great reminder to how incredible this journey is.
I agree Paul. These two steps are what I use to stay "In fit spiritual condition."
Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What do you think about a current step one as it relates to keeping in fit spiritual condition?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is your definition of a current Step 1 ?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not really sure. Heard Mark and Dave talking about it. I guess it is being aware of potential alcoholic delusion? Maybe you can listen to the step one link to Mark and Dave under step one and tell me what they mean if you have some free time?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See if this helps:

Middle of Page 84 of the Big Book says:

Step Ten suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for a lifetime. Then Bill W. gives us the five Parts:

Part 1.) Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear. This is what we did in our 4th. Step - so by doing this each day we are doing a daily Step 4.

Part 2.) When these crop up, we ask God to remove them at once. We did this in Steps 6 & 7. If not removed we continue to Part 3.

Part 3.) We discuss them with someone immediately. Just like we did in Step 5. During that discussion our sponsor will probably ask "Did you make amends to the person you harmed ?" If not, proceed to Part 4.

Part 4.) And make amends quickly if we have harmed someone. Steps 8 & 9. If all of the above fail to resolve our resentments then proceed to Part 5.

Part 5.) Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. (First half of Step 12.) Thus, go to a meeting and find a suffering newcomer and take him/her for
coffee and listen to their situation. That will take you right out of your own problems and you will be doing the second half of Step 12 - carrying the message.

When I ask the question in AA Meetings - "Does anyone know the 5 parts of the 10th. Step" - I seldom get an answer, just a lot of puzzled looks. When my sponsor laid this on me the first time in my sobriety he said, most alky's don't read the black when reading the Big Book. If they did it would make their lives a lot easier.

Living this way has indeed proved to me that working and living the 5 Parts of the 10th. Step is the easier, softer way. I never have had to do a lifetime 4th. Step again because I am doing one every day. In my first 4th. I had to list a lifetime of garbage that was buried deep down inside me that I was carring around for years. Booze enabled me to bear the weight. But in sobriety I can't carry that kind of a load and have serenity at the same time. You can't be full of s--t and feel good.

Step 10 is called a Maintenance Step for an important reason. By working it regularly I am working Steps 4 thru 9 every day and Step 12 regularly when possible. Isn't that how "We practice these principals in all our affairs ?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Uncle Meat. You are always very helpful.

Have you heard of this phrase..."current step one", before?

What do you think of it?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are the first person that I have heard that from.
I use the Maintenance Steps (10, 11 & 12) to stay in "fit spiritual Condition"
to be able to wake up every morning as a recovered alcoholic meaning that
HP enables me to "see the truth in the matter of drink." My truth is Step 1
and I do not ever want to forget that. So I guess I could say that the
maintenance Steps keep me current on Step 1 as a result of the "psychic change"
brought about when I did Steps 3 thru 9. They are all interconnected for me.

Before working the steps I was unable to see the truth in the matter of drink even though
I knew, deep down inside, that I couldn't drink. I call it "DENIAL" and I did not have
the power to remove it myself.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I guess you could say that when practicing the disciplines of 10, 11, 12, ... step one is a current truth by the mere fact that we are seeking as a result of the condition we have, recovered or not. We are not cured.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Works for me for 3 decades now. I highly recommend it to
anyone seeking long term sobriety.