Notices

Maintaining Sobriety every day teaches me that: _________

Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maintaining Sobriety every day teaches me that: _________

I will soon be nine months sober. These last few months I seem to be finally getting the hang of sobriety MAINTENANCE. It is kind of like riding a bike. I have a long way to go, but in the world of sobriety, I can at least walk and chew gum at the same time now. Even if I still can't find my way out of a paper bag. At least I'm not trapped in a brown paper bag from the liquor store!

So, to complete the sentence: Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that obtaining anything that is truly worthwhile requires these things:

Taking baby steps, having reasonable expectations about my progress, daily commitment, admitting I don't know it all, asking for help when I'm stuck, practice, believing it is possible, passion for my goal, encouragement from the people who matter most to me, and the ability to keep the big picture in mind.

Whether it is sobriety, or learning anything new I've been dreaming of, I need to keep this learning in mind. What has sobriety maintenance taught you?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that my emotions won't kill me the way drugs and booze were.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, well done on the upcoming 9 months EQ!

For me maintaining Sobriety every day teaches me that I am not my thoughts. I don't have to act on things that go through my head, like Threshold says, my feelings won't kill me. Every day being sober is a blessing and I shouldn't take that for granted.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Maintaining sobriety teaches me I can go through many many days with minimal effort, but there will be those 'other' days where I still need my tool-kit ready and waiting.

Oh and congrats. Nine months is quite nice.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that: life is not as overwhelming as I used to think it was.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That a feeling is just a feeling, and it can't hurt me.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Learning to maintain sobriety for months at a time (in the past) and days at a time (currently on day 4) has taught me so much! It has not only opened my eyes to the possibility of a happy, useful, fufilling life without drugs or alcohol; it has also taught me about myself. I had no idea who I really was, what I really liked or disliked, what I really wanted out of life... I had no hobbies, no passion, no drive to do anything besides hide in a bottle or a pill. Now is my time to learn to love life and maybe even the person I truly am inside.

Also... I'm learning that I can have dreams again, that anything is possible if I stay sober, that I can be a good employee, friend, daughter, sister, SO, and member of AA and my community.

I do not have to live the way I used to. I do not have to hide and be scared and ashamed ANYMORE. I am ok. I know about my malady now (my addiction) and how I can fix it. All I have to do is be willing, open, honest, and believe it is possible.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that:

•Short term sacrifice is always required for longterm success and security.

•I deserve longterm success and security.

•Every choice we make adds up to the whole of Our Life.

•My life journey is mine. No one's is the same as mine, and therefore comparing my life to others, is irrational, pointless, and dangerous.

•I am responsible for my life, therefore, only I can change it for the better and only I know what is best for me.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that, effort and commitment bring the promise of a beautiful tomorrow, and self respect today.

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that habitually doing what is right makes me stronger, and creates a person whose instincts and judgement can be trusted.

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that I don't need to make excuses for my or other people's bad behavior. But it also teaches me not to judge it, either.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

...that I enjoy being with people sober more than I enjoy drinking alone.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that:

If I set a goal, and I commit and do a tiny step each day, and I am patient regarding my progress, I can do anything.

It teaches me that if sobriety is possible for me, what else might be possible in my life if I just commit?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that:
Being on the planet is not a right or a burden, but a wonderful gift from God.
And every consecutive sober day there is beauty all around me, and within others, and, in me.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that I must examine my mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health regularly (not just to stay sober), but to make sure my life is going in the right direction, and, if not, to get myself back ontrack as quickly as possible.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that life isn't actually that bad on the whole and that the only reason I used to think it was bad is because I was ungrateful and selfish the majority of the time.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that . . . it was the beer that was making me fat and lazy all along!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety everyday teaches me that the longer I keep at it, the easier it gets, and the more benefits there are!

I still cannot get over how true that is.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety everyday is teaching me how to master daily maintenance in other areas of my life. It has been ten months, but at least I now don't run out of gas, get the oil changed, pay the bills, wash and floss and brush, take my vitamins, change my sheets, do and put away my laundry, put out the trash, get my hair cut, etc. Its the same principle I am finding. All part of stopping the insanity once and for all.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Maintaining sobriety every day teaches me that most of the things I was so anxious about were either a/of my own making (not paying bills, etc) or b/out of my control.

It's nice to NOT create anxiety through irresponsible actions or obsess over people/things over which I have zero control!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety each day teaches me that:
I can depend on myself to cope with life. I don't have to depend on alcohol.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maintaining sobriety teaches me that I CAN tolerate uncomfortable feelings, especially loneliness, and that if I don't drink eventually I will make good changes in the right direction.