Notices

2nd time around!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd time around!

Hi im new here so dont really know where to begin. This is my second attempt to get sober. I made it 8 months before. I did the classes n AA for 6 weeks. I joined a forum group but never shared about myself. So im doing it this time n see if it helps. I went to 6 weeks of AA already n have 2 months sober. Im not sure if im going back to AA i have severe anixety,ptsd,depression. I keep telling myself i did it for 6 weeks and i didnt die lol. Do you think that this AA on computer is enuff?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think AA is a great program for some, but you need to find what works for you. There are many links on the secular section of this website. Check out Women For Sobriety and Rational Recovery, I like both. I am closing out Day 23, and SR has been my greatest support. Glad you found the website, and congratulations on six weeks!!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lucy - welcome

I agree with delilah - you have to find what works for you

SR has helped me stay sober - but other people have found they need more that this forum

D
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

welcome - I have no experience of AA
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lucy

If you find that it's not enough you can always add something to it. There are no rules about how little or much support you 'need' or can have. Personally I use a bit of everything, AVRT, AA, SMART, but SR is my most useful, and the place where I feel the most safe. Glad you're here x
Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA doesn't have "classes". There are different types of AA meetings - speaker, discussion, big book study, etc. Can you elaborate on what you did?

Beyond that I echo what has been said elsewhere in this thread - AVRT, Smart, Women for Sobriety - whatever works for you, embrace it.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congrats on your 2 months

I've never used AA. For 2 months I used nothing, then I found SR and it became my rock! It has been an invaluable source of support and information for me. I was introduced to AVRT through SR, which really helped me understand why I wanted alcohol despite not really wanting it at all. Whatever works for you is what you should do. Don't let what OTHERS do make you feel like you should be doing more. If you can be sober without using any method at all then that is wonderful and that is enough for you. Everyone is different.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lucylove View Post
Hi im new here so dont really know where to begin. This is my second attempt to get sober. I made it 8 months before. I did the classes n AA for 6 weeks. I joined a forum group but never shared about myself. So im doing it this time n see if it helps. I went to 6 weeks of AA already n have 2 months sober. Im not sure if im going back to AA i have severe anixety,ptsd,depression. I keep telling myself i did it for 6 weeks and i didnt die lol. Do you think that this AA on computer is enuff?
I know for some alcoholics SR members that don't go to AA and they have recovered from alcoholism with a good mood as a result. There are programs and strategics that will help anyone with a serious addiction to recover. Groups like; Women for Sobriety, SOS, LifeRing, SMART, CBT, Urge Surfing, DBT and AVRT

I have a wellness plan to follow. It is comprised of many many healthy living skills to practice. Here at SR is an important wellness treatment I use to keep on that right track for my welfare.

There many ways to recover and live a satisfying life. Pick one or make up your own, as no one way to be recovered from addiction is proper for everybody.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not used AA either. I have been here at SR for many years and found lots of support and information. I hope you will too.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

By "AA on the computer" do you mean this forum? Cause SR isn't about any one method of recovery, just a lot of people sharing their experiences to stay sober and help others stay sober too.

I got (and stay) sober with the help of an addiction counselor and SR.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Red face

Thank u everyone for ur replies! It feels good to talk to folks thats going thru the same thing. I had couple bad days of craving last few days! I figured it'd be bout over. I just kept myself busy and ate plenty of chocolate!! One day at a time right...Kinda worried bout the thanksgiving get together the whole family eats then proceeds to drink for hours! Think i mite miss it this time?