Notices

Help

Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

O.K. I'm new at all of this but I pulled up this site in hopes of getting advice on how to detox off of beer. That's all I drink, nothing hard but I drink beer (lots like 8 to 12 a night) every night for the past 8 years. Don't want the D.Ts bad because I'm on 5 heavy duty mental meds and am already having trouble walking. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, and glad to have you with us.

First, get thee to a doctor. Be honest about your drinking. There is no shame in the desire to get sober. He/she will advise you on how to detox safely. MANY on this board have taken this first step, albeit hard perhaps, and it saw them through the beginning so they could devote time to recovery of not only body, but mind and spirit.

Is this an option for you?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I agree with Change...get to the doctor and be honest. My detox this time was unexpectedly bad and I'm lucky to be alive. I wish I had gone to the doctor instead of white knuckling it. There were many points during that awful week that I was truly convinced I was going to have a heart attack, seizure or pass out while driving. All very unpleasant possibilities and all those dreadful thoughts would have not happened if I had done it with medical assistance. Yes, there is a very good chance you could do it yourself but why take the risk? Alcohol withdrawal is pretty much the only detox that can actually kill a person becaus of its horrible effects on our central nervous systems and what happens when we deprive it of something it needs due to our daily intake of alcohol.

Sorry for the scary stuff but why suffer unnecessary pain if you don't have to? If medical supervision is an option I say take it. If it is not, please be mindful of signs of trouble and get yourself to an ER immediately. Don't take any chances...

Oh, on a positive note - after one week the physical symptoms usually subside and then you can focus fully on your mental health. I wish you the best of luck and a safe detox - congratulations on your decision to get sober. I know you won't regret it!!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'll also say get to a doctor, be honest, ask for help. It doesn't matter if you drink beer or liquor, alcohol is alcohol and no one can predict how your detox will go..
Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not to be a broken record, but there is alot of wisdom in the posts above. Seeing a medical professional and being honest is sane, not shameful. Welcome and keep us posted!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Change4good and IWillWin. Unfortunately I have no insurance and I owe every Doctor in town so no one will take me. I do however have a sister that's a nurse and she is watching out for me. I don't think I'll go cold turkey but try to take it slow and taper off gradually but will take your advice and if it gets bad I will go to the E.R. Bless you both you will be in my thoughts. Here's to getting sober and breaking the cycle.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome JF

I had a very bad last detox and that was on beer so I think it's best & safest to see a Dr if you can...

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10816 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D