New, hope I will be welcome here

Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New, hope I will be welcome here

Hi!
I am new to the forum and think that the secular recovery spot is probably right for me. A little about myself: I am 24, 4th year uni student and currently 8 days sober from opiates. My addiction is one that many other uni students I have met seem to have: one of binging and drying out... Over and over for the last 3 years. I am now totally committed to sobriety. I realized that if I don't stop now I will never achieve my dreams of going to grad school and becoming a professional.

I have tried the NA model and it really isnt for me. I am an atheist and couple that with an education in the physical sciences and my analytical mode of thinking and the result is a lot of internal grumbling/ eye rolling when told to just "accept god" etc. ( I realize it is more that that but I am trying to illustrate that it just really doesn't suit my personality to put my recovery into the hands of a deity)

I guess I jus wanted to introduce myself and check secular forum out. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A very warm hello to you, and of course you are welcome here! There are many paths to sobriety, and many agnostics, athiests, and members of faith communities on this forum.

You will receive lots of support. Settle in, have a snack, and read a bit. There is a tremendous amount of wisdom here.

Congrats on pursuing your dreams, and taking this very important step to get there. Nice to have you with us.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Welcome, Reid25. You're most welcome here. A couple of suggestions: click around some of the old posts on the forum, particularly the AVRT threads. You might also enjoy taking a look at the SMART Recovery forums at Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Reid25, to the secular side here, glad to have you with us. Every sort and flavour of recovery is found at SR as it is a most personal situation in which we have found ourselves. Our sobriety is as unique as we are.

My Dude in the Sky had no part in my alcoholism, and I don't believe that He will somehow make me sober either. I took responsibility for my addiction to alcohol, and I take responsibility for my sobriety too.

Join in the conversation and discussion, Reid. It will help you, and it will help others that haven't yet made that decision to choose sobriety.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcoming replies! I am at day 9 today and feeling better than I have in a very long time! I look forward to poking around the secular recovery further
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Reid25. Congratulations on having stopped your substance use and for taking responsibility for your actions.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Ried, welcome to the secular side.

I too am an atheist and even an atheist AA member. Building emotional/behavioral life skill come natural for me. CBT, DBT, Zen and other secular healing methods speak to me. Religious-spiritual matters have no longer have a place in my life. Now, naturalist spirituality is my kind of stuff.

Here are some links that help me stay sober; Women for Sobriety, SOS, LifeRing, SMART, CBT, Urge Surfing, DBT and AVRT.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Reid,

I am an agnostic member of the Fellowship who realizes that if there is a God, that god must be a rational being without contradiction. REBT and AVRT are so appealing to thinking, rational people in recovery.

As has already been said, everything you need to know is right here. The many wonderful members at this secular recovery site are willing to share their experiences, strengths, and hopes with others so that we may solve our common problems and help others to recover from addictions.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

Welcome Reid25. I have had nothing but great support from SR. I love everyone's desire to help. Welcome aboard. I wish you the best. I will help you as best I can.