Notices

Time for sobriety.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time for sobriety.

I've lurked here off and on, always coming back when I need some inspiration. It's time now that I have to make more of a commitment in my sobriety. I've done it before, and played around with moderation/reduction, but that doesn't really work for me - well, it does for a time, then next thing I know, my thoughts are all consumed by the next drink.

I'm seeing the person I've become, the person I hid from myself for so long because I didn't want to face the reality of the situation. I don't need to be that person anymore, the person who hides from things at the bottom of a bottle.

I'm on day one. I've been through this before so I know what it is like, what to expect. I know it gets better. I can remember how nice it felt to smile and say "I'm not going to drink today."
Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Welcome to SR, Parrotice!

Gongrats on Day 1. This place is a great resource of support and encouragement.

Keep posting and have a good day.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family, Parrotice! Congratulations on making that first step! This is my first sober Saturday in a LONG time and I feel amazing!! I could not have done it without SR!
Take care and have a great weekend!!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen31 and MidnightBlue! I am happy to have a sober Saturday too. I didn't sleep much last night, but that's fine. I feel like I am just coming out of a dark fog that had been trapping me...I'm looking around now and seeing all the things I was avoiding. It's stressful but I just have to take things one at a time and keep moving forward.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm pulling for you friend and sending out some prayers to you! Keep trying, there is a way out! Take care today...
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jobei. I am struggling, not with wanting to drink (thankfully) but just feeling bad. I've been through worse (I feel shamed to say) but today was not easy. IS not easy, I should say, it's hardly noon. I am fortunate to have someone here with me who can give me love and support, even if she can't relate to exactly what I am going though.

Thanks again for your kindness!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what my friend... I remember very clearly how hard the first days are... it's almost like you're trying to keep yourself from drowning. Some things that other people that were sober told me is that things WILL get better! It may not seem like it right now, this minute, but they will improve without alcohol in your life. For many years I always just thought this was some cliche that everyone said but now I am seeing that it is true. Hang in there, you will see it too soon!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome parrotice

D
Old 11-03-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((parrotice)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Parrotice! Sounds like you are ready to do this thing. We have to be ready. I tried several times, but finally got it right. I, too, had to learn there was no such thing as moderation for me.

You sound positive. I hope you'll continue to feel that way, and to reach out for a new life. We all care - please keep posting.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! The first days are hard, I know that since I am still only on Day 23, but I feel a lot better than 24 days ago. Keep reading and posting, and looking forward to seeing you back tomorrow for Day 2!