Notices

Out of work depression?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of work depression?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, 28 years old, and unfortunately I've been out of work for a number of years now. I'm sure some can relate to how it can drive you into a whirlwind spiral and resort to things such as alcohol to numb out the long days. We try to seek help into work, but the people on the other end are pretty useless - agencies, work programmes etc...it all becomes a bit redundant to even try, but you know you still have to.

It's quite ironic because for so long I have been into self-improvement "gurus" such as Tony Robbins, Wayne Dyer etc...but I'm beginning to realise that knowledge truly cannot be a sanctuary, and alcohol cannot be a safe haven. You have to DO what you know.

I slipped into this because like most of us it's all we know. We've either witnessed it or we've been introduced to it...but I hope to join this forum to help myself, and others, to break these cycles. We never came out of the womb holding onto a bottle. Life events happen,.

Thanks for a site like this, and I'll keep in touch.

Brendan
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You're going to love it here. Congratulations on taking that first step!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sorry for your job situation, but glad you've decided to join us.

I wouldn't have believed it when I was drinking, but I felt a lot better about myself and so much more positive about everything after I got sober. The support here has been a lifeline. Keep reading and posting!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR my man! You can get some good advice here... many people here have been through many things! (understatement!) I look forward to hearing from you often!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find an endless source of support and help here. Just stick around. I also new and really finding it to be invaluable.

I can relate BIG time to the job woes. Being out of work and pretty broke and scared surely contributed to my latest foray with my unfortunate drug of choice. And you know what? It didn't help much at all because I threw away 3 months of sobriety to go spend money I didn't really have and get loaded so now I'm just back to square 1 and in that early sobriety haze. Ugh.

Whatever you do, just try to rembered that alcohol and drugs will not help. I know it can be terrifying, boring, and soul crushing to have no work. You are NOT alone. Don't give up. Try meetings if you need fellowship and stay close to those who are doing their best to stay on a positive, sober path.

We are here for you!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My recommendation is go to the gym and diet accordingly..... skip the booze. It'll take a bit, but you'll free your mind and body, then self confidence will be restored.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to your situation... I'm also 28 and was out of work for 3 years until 3 months ago (with the help of a great therapist and SR) I became sober.. since then I've got my self respect, confidence, energy and drive back... and last friday I started my own business... it's still early days but it's going well so far... I always thought I would get a job and then because I had to get up for work the next day I would automatically get sober... but drinking took all the life out of me and I just couldn't get the motivation to properly commit to anything... I had to get sober first...

I really hope you find this site useful... I know I do x
Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brendan - welcome

have you considered volunteer work - it's a great way to get out of the house, do something useful, feel motivated, help others...and it looks good on your resume

D