Questions if anyone can help

Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions if anyone can help

Can an alcoholic get drunk only on weekends and only on 3 beers? My nephew just moved in with me because my brother went on disability with cancer and he was his ride to work.

He drinks absolutely nothing during the week, helps me around the house, takes care of his room and washing and stuff. Eats good. So he says he wants to get a 12 pack for the weekend. Drinks 2 beers, and he's watching TV in my room when he does and then starts slurring. If he drinks a 3rd he can hardly stand up. He also gets really depressed and sometimes cries but he's also angry and he seems to have a need to prove he's invincible. This is only his 2nd week with me so I honestly don't know what to think.

I don't know what to do. If he is an alcoholic I don't want to be an enabler. I'm trying to help him save his money and get his own place. Any help is greatly appreciated. He's been doing this for years. Recently my brother said he gets these coughing fits and coughs up blood, alot of it apparently. He won't go to a doctor.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Can an alcoholic get drunk only on weekends and only on 3 beers?"

In answer to your question, yes/no/maybe. When I could not figure out why XA was slurring after a couple of beers it was because he had a couple of beers x 10 before I ever saw him... so maybe you are just witness to the "couple of beers" . wink, wink, and he thought he was so sneaky!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi
I'm no expert on alcoholism, and others
might have different opinions, but if this has been his habit for years it sounds like he is stable. I would expect an alcoholic to have a higher tolerance of alcohol than 2-3 beers.
The health issues are another matter, please see if you can get him to a doctor for the coughing up of blood because there is the possibility of a serious condition, and it could be infectious.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought the same thing about the tolerance level. I pick him up from work on Friday and never smell any alcohol on him so I don't think he is drinking at work. I did notice he doesn't eat dinner when we get home. I was thinking maybe drinking on an empty stomach might make it hit him quick or something. Thanks for your quick responses.

I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and see if he's willing to stop. I think it would be in his best interest for right now.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

May I suggest you read the stickies at the top of the forum. Great information available right at your fingertips. With gentleness and sincerity I say if he is an active alkie asking him to stop is fruitless.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DMC

My ex did.

But he left out the 1.5L of whisky in the garage that he was taking swigs of. I accidentally walked out once and caught him in the act. Made a heck of a lot more sense after that.

Just a thought.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FYI sometimes I can't smell it on my AH. I don't know what he does to disguise it - not mouthwash that's too much a red flag. I doubt it's just 2 - 3 beers. Could be mixing with pills as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your house, your rules! You are doing a favor for him by allowing him to stay in your house and driving him to / from work. If he's old enough to legally get drunk, he's old enough to know that it's rude to do so at your aunt's house especially when there is no party going on.

Please, do read the stickies, and educate yourself some more on alcoholism and setting boundaries before confronting your nephew with your suspicions. But, you do not need to allow unacceptable behavior in your own house.

Take care,
Fathom