Notices

Loss in north east USA

Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss in north east USA

We have been hit by a terrible storm here in the northeast and it is devastating. I am loathe to admit that in order to cope I have been drinking. Right now I don't feel so bad about it but tomorrow I am going to be full of regret. My feelings don't matter though - so many people have lost everything I have no right to whine.

Please send prayers for those who have lost so much to this terrible storm
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for everyone affected TTBABP - I know what the aftermath is like...I've been through several myself down here in the tropics.

Do you need to drink tho? Is drinking really coping?

I think the answer to both is no.

Drinking is patently about not coping, it's about running away from reality - and while I understand that response, and indulged myself in the past, it solves nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Look around - there's lot of other people here from the NE...draw strength from them and what they're doing TTBABP.

It's gonna be a big clean up physically and emotionally - why not be a part of the solution?

D
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I've been praying continuously for those affected - the beautiful Jersey Shore and NYC plus many other places I know so well. It's heartbreaking to see people's lives shattered and all they've built up gone forever.

It's wonderful to have feelings of compassion, TTBABP - but please don't hurt yourself during this time. I'll also pray for you to regain your sobriety and continue on your journey to a sober life.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi TTBABP I origionaly started drinking in order to cope with anxiety and trauma, but I wasn't coping. I was masking it and it just made things way worse.
I was affected by the storm as well and I admit the anxiety got to me some. Mostly due to the concern of others as I wasn't hit nearly as bad as NJ.
I knew the storm wasn't going away if I drank and would only make it harder to pick up the pieces afterwards. Don't beat yourself up over this as that won't accomplish anything either. Pick up the pieces and carry on with your recovery.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and praying hard. Sent money to Red Cross and hope that helps some. The devastation is unbelievable. You'll get back on track. For now, focus on getting through the shock and keeping yourself warm and fed if you can. Sending hugs!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

drinking is not going to help all those people devastated by the storm. And it is certainly not going to help you cope. There are healthier ways to deal with this. Put the drink down, read posts on here, and get yourself some help to stay stopped.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know what to say except thank you all so much. It means a lot that you took the time to offer words of advise and comfort. Its the morning after now and I do have a "big" head but I'm going to try try again.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Big hugs.

All we can do is to keep trying!
I wish you sobriety today, tomorrow will become "today" in the morning.....

Love,
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Many of us used drinking to "cope" and it's such a false concept. I'm coping with things so much better sober. Drinking just made everything bad worse in my life.

Sending prayers for all dealing with the storm. If you want to help, send the money and spend the time you would give to drinking to those in need instead.

Glad you're back today and starting again, good for you!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes its so sad- here in philly not too bad but the beloved shore sooo sad i thought about drinking i had no power for a bit but then decided no i did not need it. rethink your choices
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It never, ever helps - just adds another problem on top of what we're already dealing with. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize that.

Keep going, TTBABP. You're going to make it.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

TTABABP:

Please know that you and your fellow storm survivors are very much in my thoughts. Here in Connecticut, we were spared the brunt of the storm, with only isolated pockets of heavy damage on the shoreline. The devastation in New Jersey and New York is staggering.

As others have said, drinking will not help you cope. I am glad to see that you are sober today. Having gone through a Cat 4 hurricane myself, I have been in your shoes. The anticipation and preparation of the storm is draining, next comes enduring the storm and not knowing if the worst will happen and then comes the aftermath, seeing the destruction and trying to just get through the basics of daily living. The aftermath is by far the worst part of it.

For me, it was cathartic to get involved in relief efforts and put that pent up energy to positive use. There is a great Facebook page devoted to Jersey Shore Hurricane News and maybe you can find a way to get involved:

http://www.facebook.com/JerseyShoreHurricaneNews

The FB page is uplifting, as you see how people are joining together to help one another. I have no doubt Jersey will rebuild!

Stay safe, sober and strong!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm right in the middle of total devastation from this storm. No power, no gas, places that defined who I am are literally washed away, spotty cell service, the list of my current circumstance goes on and on. It is the most challenging time of my life emotionally, spiritually and physically. My community will never be the same and many of my friends have lost everything.

BUT, check out my posts throughout and prior and now after the storm. I have 60 days today - and I am facing this all sober. Not one drink. It's not easy but I'm doing it. So can you. I'm sad, mad, uplifted, downtrodden, happy, anxiety ridden, scared - every emotion you can dream of. I am so grateful for sobriety because I can actually feel them as they happen and not drink them down only to resurface with a vengeance later.

If I can do this so can you. Forget about your slip and remember that you aren't useful to anyone, especially yourself, if you are drunk. I know you can do it. Keep it movin' and move it for keeps.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IWW...

Sending hugs and thoughts of hope your way.

Slim
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

SlimSlim, thanks for the FB page info, I've shared it with a FB friend on the Jersey Shore. IWW, awesome post, what a great attitude. Prayers and positive energy for all affected.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone! All of you hit by Sandy - like me- I will pray for you and promise to try my best to make good and helpful use of my time from now on.

I am making plans to do some useful work tomorrow to keep busy and productive
Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i am donating to glenn becks cause. feel for you. we went thru andrew.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As a Native New Yorker I am always affected when things happen back in NY. Most of my family and friends still live there. I have fond memories of Seaside Heights, used to hang out with college friends there during the summers, then the Hamptons in my twenties. Very sad that so many places were devastated by the storm.

I watched the special last night, and donated some money as well. I am closing out 23 days sober tonight, not easy but so worth it.

Looking forward to seeing you here tomorrow for Day 2!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

IWW so sorry to hear you're in the thick of it. What a tragedy! Congrats on your 60 days-you are being handed severe challenges and remaining strong, very impressive! Sending prayers that things get better soon for your family and your area!