Husband just admitted he needs aa

Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband just admitted he needs aa

Hi all- I am very new to this. My husband just admitted to me that he needs to seek help for his alcoholism. It is something I have been worried about for years, but felt so scared to breach the topic, for hear of hurting his feelings. We werent really able to talk much of specifics tonight- I have to be up early for work, he just got home from work (safely, thank God), and he told me he doesn't particularly want to talk about it tonight.

I'm scared to death. He has a history of addiction, and recovery, or maybe was just covered up and transferred to alcohol abuse?

I don't know. I'm just scared. I see so many people on here sayin that they have to leave their spouses on order for them to help themselves, and while I will do anything to help him, that would be the hardest thing for us to do. I love him so much, I just want whats best for him, and to help in the most healthy way possible for him.

I don't know. I'm just rambling, really. I have a lot of stress right now, and this just takes the cake. I'm just scared p what lies ahead, but happy that this first step has been taken, and all on his own.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Admitted we need help is the first step but what precipitated his stating he needs help? Did some event happen that has caused him to consider that his drinking and life have become unmanageable?

When a crisis or horrific event happens the A may hint or even admit that they need help and while this is good the only thing that counts is action. As the event fades into history the admission is often forgotten, life is too busy and moves on.

If he picks up the phone and calls AA they have members on call who will respond immediately to help him sort things out, find a meeting, help him find a temporary sponsor... etc...

Time is of the essence in my opinion... (but I am a self admitted controller who is in recovery...lol)

What is important is that you take care of you and deal with your own fears and uncertainties of the future by learning all you can about how to best walk out the future with your loved one. For many of us the life ring was alanon, this website, counseling and reading many books on the subject of alcoholism and recovery.

I hope you will consider alanon... whatever happens there are many good things we learn about ourselves and building healthy relationships from these meetings.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm so glad to learn that he recognizes the need for help. But it seems as though you are assuming that he's decided that help must come from AA, when in fact there are several other options. Perhaps your next step could be to help him do some research and see what sort of help is most suited to him. Here's a link that might help you: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html