I'm an addict..

Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an addict..

Wow that the first time I've ever truly announced myself as being an addict. Today I'm proud to say I'm 4 days clean! I'm still dealing with minor WD symptoms but nothing to bad. The reason I'm posting in this section is to get advice or help with dealing with my family..

For the past 3 years I've been abusing opiates and luckily I haven't damaged my relationships with my parents or brother or sister. I thank god everyday that they don't know about my addiction.

Getting clean is hard enough and part of me want to tell my parents about this problem in my life but I don't want them to think any differently of me. Im my younger brothers role model and even my older sister looks up to me so I would hate to damage this bond we have.

I feel like I'm dying to open up to somebody but I just can't. Not sure what to do or who to turn to at this point..
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Philsfan, I am glad you feel better getting that out you may want to copy and paste your post under the substance abuse forum where other addicts and recovering addicts can respond i feel you will find that helpful.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, PhilsFan!! I can only say that you know your family better than anyone else. How have your parents done in the past when they heard difficult news? Most parents will love their kid regardless, so even if it's disappointing they are likely to be on your side. My sister got involved in something bad her first year in college. Didn't tell our dad and her mom for a couple of years because she was so afraid of disappointing them, but it turned out that (a) they already knew, and (b) all they cared about was that she was okay. Again, you know your family way better than I do.

It's hard to feel that you've let someone down, but it's also good to be able to be truly honest with those you love. I think CrazyBabie has a point that others who've been where you are may have some good advice.