Notices

first post

Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first post

I stumbled upon this website on day 5 of not drinking. I am itching for a glass of wine right now, but I seem to have pretty strong willpower right now, thankfully.

My drinking habits started to get out of control probably about 18 months ago, if not before and I just hope that I can stop this in its tracks before I lose everything.

During the last 12 months drinking often led to cocaine abuse. If I was drunk I needed something to sober up with. I'd wake up with a hangover and a cocaine aggression that would be sorted out with a lunchtime drink then a finishing work drink then a bottle of wine followed by a bag of cocaine again.

The lowest point of my life came last Thursday when my husband found my hidden bag of cocaine. Its not the first time he has caught me out but for some reason his words seemed to get through to me. He said he would leave and take my children as he could not allow our boys to see their mother die of a drug addiction. I swore to him the problem was not with cocaine it was drink, as leads to drugs and I am determined to see this through.

I have always enjoyed a drink but I have to be realistic. If I drink again I will slip into my old ways again.

I have to say I am proud of myself for not drinking for 5 days as this is a massive achievement for me.

I hope I can find support with this battle and I hope I can assist others. I'm in this for the long haul!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome barberswife. This is a great place where you'll find inspiration and hope. We all understand how you feel, and what you're going through on Day 5.

Congratulations for seeing what drinking/drugging was doing to you - and for wanting a better life for you and your family.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jules

Welcome to SR! You have stumbled onto a wonderful site with lots of help, info and great people. People who can understand what your are going through.

I'm sorry for the troubles you are having but you have made a positive step in the right direction. Glad your are here!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR barberswife

you'll find a ton of support here - this place got me through some rough days and nights

glad to have you here

D
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on five days! We're glad you found us.

What works for me, is to think that first drink through to the end and the ramifications it'll bring.

I hope you feel free to post as often as you like, you'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It really is a safe haven of support and understanding. Keep reading and keep posting. The more you deny that itch, the easier it gets overall.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too! 5 days is epic. It helps me to read other people's sober success as it gives mesons thing to aspire too. I'm feeling flat and rubbish (day 5 also) but I'm inspired by someone who said they feel GREAT after10 days ..... Keep reading and posting.

S x
Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you found us and joined our international family. I give SR much credit for keeping me sober for nearly three years now.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You are makeing a huge progress already whether you realize it or not. You recognize you can't control your drinking and there is a better life without it. That in itself is huge.

There lot's of wisdom on these pages, please read and post often, it helps..
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you decided to live a sober life.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey barberswife, welcome! 5 days is brilliant. Very well done. I am also new here, and have taken the decision to go sober. I am on day one, and my resolve is strong. Stay strong too!

M
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
There is lots of support for you here.
Well done on 5 days so far.
Keep posting.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR X
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)