Notices

How do I deal with depression when just sobering up?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I deal with depression when just sobering up?

This year when I decided to sober up again after falling off the wagon.
I found that even though I didn't go back to drinking that long my alcoholism had gotten a lot worse...
This time around every time I tried to sober up
I felt the new feelings added to the old ones I had before which was horrible depression and intense anger.
Now trying to figure out how to cope and live my life.
I'm on day 5 of being sober and after a few days of battling the anxiety and anger,
today the depression kicked in.

I'm sure others have gone through this too,
I'm wondering what helped you with depression?

TY ahead of time.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi angel, today is day 5 for me without taking any medications. I am also feeling depressed and angry for some reason. Maybe someone will post about how they dealt with it and it might help us. Either way I hope tomorrow will be an easier day for both of us.
Congrats on 5 days!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings regularly.

All the best Angel8

Bob R
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a good question with a lot of different answers I'm sure. For me,I spent time on this site. I know that alcohol is a depressant and after the buzz is gone I am more depressed than before. I think that depression is part of the detox process. So you are just going through a stage and the good news is that if you stay sober it will lessen.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Angel and ChangingforGood.

It's quite natural to feel depressed in early recovery. Do not push it too hard, give you body and mind some time to recover and go through detox. Drink more pure water, go to bed early, go for a walk. If you feel ok exercising can help - it boosts endorphines. Opt for healthy food. It worked for me.

And sure, tomorrow will be better day. Every day without booze is better, I can tell.

Take care.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 10 days now and today is the first day a feel GREAT! Yesterday was ok but the 8 days before were a struggle with depression and anxiety. It WILL get better. Just hang in there. Exercise helps, clean the house, take care of business but most importantly be nice to yourself and Talk, Talk, Talk (to your loved one or someone you want to open up to) about how you feel, anxieties and future plans.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"How do I deal with depression when just sobering up?"

Better than I would if I were drinking.

I believe we can only truly deal with emotions and depression when sober. That may be why a lot of us drink.

The first week is crazy. Emotional roller coaster! It is normal and just part of the process. Do whatever you need to do to get through the early days sober. Most of us need help. Especially with issues of depression. Do not be afraid to seek it out.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I tried to focus on one small thing i could do to make life better .
Stroke a cat, brush my teeth, have a shower, watch comedy movies . Avoid depressing things like the news and film/tv violence and horror .

20 years ago i had full blown depression, i think that was caused by my clinging inflexibly to rigid ideas and beliefs about myself, the world and other people. it took drugs, therapy and mostly my own enlightenment by learning about it to get it under control .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow - this is exactly where I am at...not feeling like a drink, but man and I feeling blue. I work from home and didn't even get out of my pajamas all day. Still in them in fact. I did manage to get some work done, but all I want to do is either eat (have gained tons of weight due to some stupid meds dr. put me on...and feeling very depressed about that, but also, I'm feeling lazy.

I love to create - whether I'm cooking or making my Christmas wreaths or ornaments or something, and I haven't wanted to do even that. I'm resentful. I feel guilty if one thing in my house is out of place (minus my closet - I'm still only about 16 years old there) and so forth.

My husband is starting to come around after my last slip, but I'm now tuned completely out. He has been so horrible to me in the past that - while I drank - I can't get over the things he's said. Things no husband says to his wife.

So, my plan for tomorrow is:

Church - Holy Day of Obligation
Nails done
Shopping - I get high from coupons...lol...
Meeting
Post / Journal
Help someone else - someway do something nice and try not to tell anyone about it...

Maybe that will help. I need to get up and go for a walk or something but I can't even seem to do that.

Man, do I feel messed up.

Thanks for listening - good topic -I feel so stinking blue, it's not funny.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If your depression was present before your drinking got out of control then it likely exists independently of an alcohol problem. In this case I would recommend a professional evaluation of the problem. There are lots of effective treatments.

If your depression developed after drinking got out of control, then it may or may not be tied to your drinking. Sometimes if lifts relatively soon after the drinking ends or is just part of the emotional roller coster ride of earl sobriety.

In any event, if the depression (and anger which are the other side of that same coin) seems overwhelming or is persistent, then get some help for it. There is no reason to suffer with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi angel

like others have said, depression is quite common in early recovery...

If it's concerning you or impeding you from day to day things, I think it's best to see a Dr.

D
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Angel8,

If you can, try to get out into the sunshine for 20 minutes a day. take an easy stroll. the sun and exercise will help some. there's some great suggestions here.

While AA is a good program to treat alcoholism, you might want to see a medical professional if the depression persists or is interfering with your life. Many of us started drinking to self medicate underlying depression or anxiety. Working the Steps will help deal with the drinking and can help lessen anxiety and depression.

Please know that AA is not a group of medical professionals. and while AA does save many lives from the misery that comes with alcoholism, we do need to make sure our bodies and minds are healthy so a good check up is a good idea.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread. I can relate to this so much. Every time I stop drinking, the depression and feelings of anger surface and it is so hard to deal with. I've been failing and instead of pushing through, I've been falling back. I need to keep pushing through to get to the better days.

These feelings are normal. After being numb for so long, it is overwhelming when all of the feelings begin to rush back.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Angel,

I'm just gonna guess you have a main course of depression with a side dish or guilt and remorse that comes from a relapse. I have been in pretty much the same place regarding being clean for a while and then relapsing and being in a worse state. The way I get around of it is to just let go of it. Sometimes when I get depressed I just sit there and say out loud that whats happened has happened and I just need to focus on now.

It's easier said than done but I find that this helps me out tremendously. I don't know if you are in anyway spiritual but I pray a lot. I have no idea what I am praying too but this also helps. I do it at the end of the day. Just ask for strength and courage to stay clean and sober and anything else I am struggling with.

In regards to kinda relieving some of the guilt and remorse I would suggest an exercise I tried. Write about how you fell of the wagon, write in detail, every little bit counts, all the stuff you don't wanna write....write it. All the emotions leading upto your relapse, during and then after your relapse. Just let it all come out. Then when you have finished doing it and you have a true in depth account of your experience burn the paper you wrote it down on and just move on.

Just try to take each day as it comes. Depression comes in fits and starts. For me it gradually got better and I can say I haven't had a day I have felt depressed in the last 3 months.

Natom.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions.
I have seeked out help from a dr for anti depressants,
that will hopefully be just temporary. Problem is he prescribed Cymbalta,
and while reading about this medication online I found out many, many people got the craving to drink from this medicine.
So instead of risking it with this med I think I'll request something else.

Natom mentioned writing and prayer.
I try to write a lot in my journal and pray as well.
I've found both of these things to be really helpful.

Lenia I completely agree that taking a walk and getting some sun helps,
hopefully I can stay motivated to walk even as the weather gets chilly here.

HollyMc I'm glad you have a plan for what to do the next day,
that sounds very helpful as a way to stay distracted and keep ones head up...even at such a tough time.

Thanks again everyone for your support.
My thoughts and prayers go out to those who are in the same boat I'm in,
I hope you all feel a lot better.
I'm feeling a little better today and am glad to be another day sober!