Notices

OD'ing on recovery?!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OD'ing on recovery?!

Hi all,

After talking to a friend at a meeting yesterday, it became abundantly clear that balance is something i'm sorely lacking atm.

I attend an AA meeting every day and call my sponsor at least twice a week

I moved to supported accommodation about 3 weeks ago (AA was an absolute lifeline in the first 4 months because where I was before happened to be very isolating & there was a big language barrier)

I started domestic violence counselling today and that will occur once a week for as long as necessary

I'm also linked in with an AOD counsellor where i'm living

I just finished a cert IV in alcohol & other drug work

I went out for lunch on Sunday with my sponsor and a group of members; it was nice enough, but ALL that was spoken about was recovery and I was the youngest by at least 10 years. I'm starting to get resentful, bored and exhausted by everything

I just want to spend more time with non-AA friends and do completely average things where recovery isn't the sole focus. I'm working on that though.

Thanks for listening to my vent, I don't even know if I'm seeking advice, but any shared experience would at least be helpful.

It's starting to make me feel like i'm living in a vacuum

Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

As we get better we need to spread our wings. The challenge then is how to stay in touch with recovery at the "right dose".
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think recovery's important...it's a Good Thing...and I know sometimes I can talk myself out of Good Things....

but you're right - balance is important too - I think we need to relax unwind and just be sometimes...

if recovery's becoming a chore then I think it's right to step back and look at why that is...if balance is the problem it's definitely a good idea to look at ways we might be able to get some balance back, Quinne

D
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

When you spend the majority of your life doing recovery things, speaking recovery speak, and working recovery work it does get boring and annoying. You just have to find that balance. I'm not going to say finding the balance is easy. But if I sit down and reflect on what I have been doing for the last few days and found I haven't spent any time with non-recovery friends I will do my best to go out for a coffee or something similar.

It's hard getting a balance but it is possible, you just have to find out what kind of balance sits right with you.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The last time I stopped drinking I constantly shopped. Do I really need 8 black dresses?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i am one who went to many,many meetings in early recovery. for me, it was important as i had to be around like minded people and get the help on how to live life on lifes terms.
then i learned it is hard to "practice these principles in all my affairs" if i spent all my time at meetings. i had ot venture out and start doin it.
today, i still hit at least 2 meetings/week. sometimes its more. it all depends on how my thinking is. if it gets goofy, i hit more meetings. through it all, i still pick up the phone and call others in recovery.

balance can sometimes be a bugger to have.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Sounds like recovery burn-out.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
The last time I stopped drinking I constantly shopped. Do I really need 8 black dresses?
One for each day and a spare. I say that's reasonable. Just enabling you lol.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Get some of your sober friends together and have a fun day, No recovery talk allowed. Having an active recovery life is important but there is more to life than recovery. The whole point of recovery is to get your life back
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Balance ...wow a thing I never had much of in active drinking and not easy to get when trying to get sober.

I make sure I get out to non AA or things not related to recovery every day so that I am not living in the world of recovery all the time. More people are not in recovery in this world and that's the reality. I hang out with AA friends and we don't always and often don't talk at all about recovery.

I do about 12 meetings a week , step work , meditation and prayer daily so I need to put a few events of pure fun or not related to recovery to keep a foot in the world outside.