intentional injury?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question intentional injury?

has anyone here ever experienced anyone hurting themselves on purpose to get pain medication?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have faked many illnesses to get medication. I've done all my research, gone in, told them what pain I was having and diagnosed myself. I once faked a car crash, I did actually crash, I just made sure I didn't seriously injure myself. But then I went and milked it for some painkillers.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm wondering if my boyfriend tore his rotator cuff on purpose. things are not adding up.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i appreciate your honesty, by the way...it's hard to come by in my world right now.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pep

fake injuries

My husband (addicted to heroin) has recently been suffering knee injury which he appears in varying degrees of discomfort over within minutes. He left a supervised visit with our son early to go to hospital and then claimed they wouldn't see him after waiting hours. He then claims to have gone back to same hospital days later only to be told he can't get a prescription because of drug history. This lead to a tirade about how doctors aren't meeting his human rights by allowing him to be in pain. I do believe addicts will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A few weeks ago, he had a massive infection in his arm. Would NOT go to the ER until it absolutely had to be looked at. He has been two days in a row now for the shoulder. Yesterday said it was sprained. Today his rotator cuff is torn. Was also unclear about how this happened as well as when. I'm pretty grossed out, I have to admit.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My EXAH not only intentionally hurt himself to get his pills he actually has and continues to make up physical ailments. You will drive yourself crazy trying to rationalize their behavior. Focus on keeping yourself healthy and sane.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i already have driven myself crazy, unfortunately...need to refocus badly, i'll admit. i got off my track in a bad way this last week. i think it's not so much i want to rationalize his behavior as check my own instincts. i feel terrible thinking that he would do something like that and i guess i wasn't sure if this was an outlandish thought on my part or if it's valid for me to wonder.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Self injury is common drug seeking behavior.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And I'm sure no hope of ever getting anyone to admit this is what they've done... Ugh. If I think something like this at all, that should (and does) tell me something.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mstrust View Post
And I'm sure no hope of ever getting anyone to admit this is what they've done... Ugh. If I think something like this at all, that should (and does) tell me something.
Does it matter if someone admits it or not?

What's that got to do with living your life?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

His life,his choices...his problem...not yours.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Personally saw my son complain of many an ailment. Knowing his addiction, I was fairly certain he was drug seeking. An addict will do just about anything, give up just about everything, and tell you he's NOT....just to get his drug. I'm sorry this is happening to you and sorry this has happened to us all. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it's easy to say it's his problem and it has nothing to do with my life, but it is a lot harder to live that. i'm working on it. i didn't want to be totally out of line with my thought process...didn't know if i was being paranoid or if this is something that actually happens.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like ((outtolunch)) said...common drug seeking behavior....I witnessed frequent false migraine episodes (not hurting herself on purpose, but not all that different) being used in ER visits to get drugs....too many times....more than I would ever want to admit....I think back about all of the hours spent in the middle of the night in the ER sitting beside my wife worried sick....all a facade...an act...."What is your pain level from 1 to 10?"....my wife: "about a 9"....it was BS...terrible......she had elective plastic surgery at one point that I think was related to drug seeking, even if it seemed necessary for medical reasons.