Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Ever happened to you? Husband is putting off spending time with me for drugs

Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like my husband doesn't want to do anything with me anymore. It seems that, on days that he is not working, that all he does is watch TV and step out to get high. In your experience, fellow members, have you found that if an addict is not high that the thought of getting high keeps them from other activities? PS- he is a crack cocaine addict.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drugs rewire the brain to protect and sustain addiction at all costs. Drugs always come first.

He's living his life as he sees fit to do. Are you?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. yes that is how it works they are either doing the drugs or thinking about how to get the drug or gone to get them as hard as it was for me to understand it is not personal.

May I suggest you look at the top of this forum and read the section called stickies and keep posting we care.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This may be a good place to start reading.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-posts.html
Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drugs will always come first in active addiction.
My ex blew me off countless times to go and use. Had a bunch of excuses for why, turns out it was the drugs the whole time. Addicts think about one thing and one thing only drugs. When they can get them & how & their next fix. They don't have much less to give you. And all his money is going to drugs do. Coke ain't cheap. My ABF is a crack addict, would still be doing it too if he wasn't in jail.
I am sorry you are stuck in the middle of this. It is a very difficult place to be. I reccomend reading some of the posts here to learn more about what you're dealing with. You didn't cause this nor can you control it.
You need to start thinking about what you want, you aren't getting what you deserve here.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies! Sometimes, on my weak days, I take his lack of interest in me personal, due to my low self esteem. On my weak days, I wonder how he could let something so destructive take precedence over our relationship, and over me. It's difficult to love someone that loves something else more than you. I go to counseling to try to console myself about the dynamic about drug addiction. I can't fix this, it's not my fault, I don't cause the use, and I can't win the love of the addict over his addiction, regardless of how understanding, compassionate, and nurturing I am.

Thank you again for your replies.

Love and light,
YG