Notices

Another Young One

Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Young One

Hi,

I am in my 20s and have decided to stop drinking. I've been drinking heavily for about 3 years and have had abdominal discomfort for about 6 months on and off. I had one bout of sobriety earlier in the month, but went on a two week bender.

Today I decided I wasn't going to drink in the morning to avoid withdrawal and went to the ER where I admitted everything to the doctor: the first person I ever have. I only got a saline drip, was left to my own devices for the rest of the symptoms, but my bloodwork came back clean.

The worst part is that I constantly worry about my health and have so for a few months when browsing the internet, even after seeing a doctor. I self-medicated and all that was gone: no more pain, just numb-drunken "bliss."

So here I sit at my house, still unable to eat (now for the 2nd or 3rd day), getting small amounts of water down with an still uncomfortable abdomen. This is when I really want a bottle of something.

Does this sound like anyone else? Of course I don't want medical advice but I wanted to see if my story and symptoms rung true with anyone else.

-- ForSW
Old 10-27-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ForSW - welcome

My insides were always pretty churned up for a week.
If you're concerned tho there's no harm in getting a second opinion from another Dr.

Why not try introducing some easy to eat things for some nourishment? soups, tinned meals, things like that?

D
Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good decision ForSW, Like Dee said eat something easy. Ginger Ale that has sugar not diet is good too. Good job on dialing your doc in on what exactly is happening. Keep posting, keep reading, you matter, no matter what.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry for your discomfort. I've been through it many times. Wish I had some sage advice to offer for a remedy, but just hang in there things will get better.
Remember this feeling you're having. Burn it into your brain. Think of where that first drink will lead you.

I wish I had the sense to stop drinking at your age, it would have saved me 25 years of misery.

You did the right thing going to the ER. That was wise and brave of you. Sorry they weren't more helpful. If things get worse don't hesitate to go back. Maybe you'll get proper treatment.

And welcome to the boards here. Post as often as you like. It helps.

Best to you my friend.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Soon, your appetite will return ten-fold! Alcohol disrupts the proper pH of the internal organs.....you are healing now. Make yourself eat like you have a stomach virus---cream of wheat, toast, crackers, water, some real fruit juice, sip on gingerale, small amounts of chicken broth.

Heal well!

Love & hugs,
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went to the hospital and spoke with a dr. I was lucky that my appetite returned very quickly and I was grateful because I had been losing weight. If you like yogurt, it can be helpful.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi again all,

I am feeling a tad better this evening. I have some neck pain and a headache on my right side, but I have a feeling that is due to both the stress of the day and withdrawal.

I was indeed able to eat what you guys suggested, albeit only one bowl of soup.

Hopefully things keep getting better from here. Thanks all!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling a little better. You are smart to quit drinking at your age, I am 41 Nd I wish I had stopped in my 20s. Keep posting and reading.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
We are here for you.
Well done on the strength to get to a DR & admit what you did.
A new beginning.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HI . I am at 13 days. I am way older than you. I wanted to tell you I am going through the same thing. I had a splitting headache for 2 days all on the right side of my head. My stomach has been bothering me too. All I could do was drink alka-seltzer and sleep. It helped my headache and my stomach. I feel ok today. My stomach always felt like there was a stampede of horses running through it. I hope you feel better. Resist the drink. The only way you will have lasting comfort is to stick to your sobriety.