Notices

Am I An alcoholic or do I just really like drinking?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I An alcoholic or do I just really like drinking?

I guess this is kind of a dumb post but how do I know if I'm an alcoholic? Do I have to be out of control, or does just really enjoying being drunk mean I have a problem? I feel like I self medicAte but am not dependent... Thoughts???
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me when drinking bacame a problem it was a problem . I tried to solve the problem lots of ways, all of which included me carying on drinking .... those ways didn't work for me . When i drank i always had a problem with stopping, i usually passed out , so in that way it was out of control .

The only thing that worked for me in the end was complete abstinance coupled with learning new ways of how to handle lifes up's and down's without resorting to drinking to cope with the down or celebrate the ups .

If you think it could be a problem why not try sobriety for 90 days or even a year and see how things feel ? I'm sure most normal people could do that if they wanted .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-27-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic. I use to be a weekend binger years ago but it progressed. I have never been able to just have one. I wanted to be drunk. Only you can answer that question. If you can have one beer on a night out and not want another then maybe not.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No one can answer that but you...

Some things are thou do you plan out your next drink ?

Do you count how many you have ?

Ever have legal or work related consquenses ?

Can you not sleep without a drink ?

Just a couple things to think about..

I am a alcoholic and drank to much to often for way to long...

Hope you decided where you stand.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Only you can answer that question. But to help you is this:

Alcohol self-assessment - Health tools - NHS Choices

It's from the National Health Service here in England. If you answer the questions truthfully it will give you some idea of what your relationship with alcohol is like. And also if you didn't think your drinking was a problem then you wouldn't have come here. So maybe your answering your own question.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi isinganyway

It's a struggle when your life revolves around drinking and all your friends lives do too.

Noone wants to be an alcoholic.

But you must be here for something, and it's got to be more than just your shrink thinking you're an alcoholic...

I'm not sure what you're self medicating for, but why not try not drinking for at least a month?

I'm not being funny - that should should help you decide one way or the other whether you have a problem or not

D
Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, the questionar/tests are really helpful for thinking about these kinds of things. It puts into perspective stuff you may have rationalized ("I just really like drinking") with a more objective take on what's a problem or not.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kza

either way you are in trouble. If you just really like alcohol you are going to progress into an alcoholic unless you are one of these people who can get away with it but you are taking a big chance. You are likely to get away with it when you are young but can you when you are in your forties. The fact that you are on a forum for alkies is really telling.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How long between drinks for you?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I loved drinking and I'm an alcoholic. For me, I realized I was a drunk when all my problems pointed towards drinking. I'd think, damn, I really wish I could have done __________, and I could have done it, had I not been drinking. Or, wow, wish I could _________, but I can't because I'm drinking. And it was that way with just about everything in my life. I began to get really depressed and lonely, you know, that deep dark feeling in the pit of your stomach? And I just knew, it was because of my drinking. I decided I needed to quit and stop worrying about the label of alcoholic.

Quitting was really hard for me and that was kind of my confirmation that I am an alcoholic. I began to go to AA mtgs and actually heard another woman tell my exact story --- that's when I knew.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

my Alcoholism caused me to drink. I didn't drink and then become an alcoholic.

Have you read the book Alcoholics Anonymous? Lots of valuable information in it! It's on silkworth.net.

Only you can decide. Of course, you are questioning it, so why not just stop drinking like any non-alcoholic would? Just don't drink, no problem!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I agree with Sugarbear...Read the first 164 pages of "Alcoholics Anonymous."

The beginning part, called The Doctor's Opinion, through the chapter More about Alcoholism are all a way to self-diagnose yourself with the disease. Because that's just exactly it. YOU are the only one who can determine if you are an alcoholic or not.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try stopping and see what happens..
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I took Natom's assesment. I guess I'm an alcoholic. lol

Only you can know if you are an alcoholic. If you have to ask yourself if you are, then 9/10 times, you probably are.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think the fact that you are on this site and questioning whether or not you are an alcoholic answers your question. It took me a long time to actually admit to being an alcoholic. Actually stating it at a meeting for the first time was really hard to do and accept, there was something with admitting it out loud in front of others that made it real for me. Stick around on SR for a while, you will find many people with similar stories, and get great advice, inspiration, and support!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by isinganyway View Post

I feel like I self medicAte but am not dependent...
Using alcohol as a medication , even if it is as a "stressreliever" may not be wise. Now I have given up drinking I have less stress in my life and my ability to handle it has increased dramatically.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Quit for a few months..that will answer some of your questions.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by isinganyway View Post
I guess this is kind of a dumb post but how do I know if I'm an alcoholic? Do I have to be out of control, or does just really enjoying being drunk mean I have a problem? I feel like I self medicAte but am not dependent... Thoughts???
For me, even though I suspected I may be an alcoholic since early on in my drinking career, what really confirmed it was when I tried to stop. I tried without any support for 3 years and never made it past a day. And when I stopped properly I was really surprised how much drinking had warped my thinking. I suppose the only way you will find out how dependent you are if is you stop drinking. Before I really tried to quit I had lots of excuses to keep alcohol in my life, the number one being that 'I am not an alcoholic therefore I can carry on drinking'. I think that kind of thinking proved it really x
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I asked myself this very same question for several years. I was drinking to "relieve" anxiety. I would guess there is something physically, emotionally or spiritually that is telling your mind to consider quitting. Even a therapist told me that I was not an alchoholic... but i knew better and listened to my inner voice. I am only 70 days in---- but WOW it is amazing. Drinking doesn't reduce anxiety- is Causes more anxiety. Go 60 days sober and re-evaluate... Best of Luck
Old 11-03-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!