Notices

Has anyone planned their sobriety?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone planned their sobriety?

I have realised at 31 after drinking since 13 that I want to be sober. I have the holiday of alife time planned for next week. 1 month in a beautiful place. I spoke to my docs and a therapist and they all agree I should go but my mom disagrees. I think it will give me time to set my head straight and could be therapeutic. I'm not a rich bitch or anything, just a hard working girl. I've already booked in to my docs when I get home for a seven day detox then I plan to be sober. Ok I get it not straight away but I do have a chance don't I? x
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Alex

I planned my sobriety kinda... Everyday I said I'd quit tomorrow, and I was constantly having 'one last times'.

Are you saying you're gonna drink for this month and then get sober?

I think planning a detox is a really good idea, and maybe look into planning what you are going to do after that to maintain your sobriety...

Glad you're here x
Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Of course you have a chance! :)

It could be therapeutic, or it could be a big bender. Try finding some AA meetings there--they're everywhere. It could be a chance to get away from it all and discover your true self, and maybe see what sobriety is like for some people that you don't have to worry about having to see again if you don't want to.

AA can be pushy and dogmatic, or it can be kind and accommodating. It all depends, and you can try it there.

And you don't want to have worked hard to have the time of your life only to embarrass yourself, put yourself in danger, get taken advantage of, have blackouts, etc.

You could find LOTs to do and without drinking, you'll be able to look back and remember how much fun you had sober and how good you felt!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My experience was that when I planned on quiting tomorrow, tomorrow never came
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always think that the holidays that I went on and got wasted were a shame. I might of been somewhere beautiful, but all I ever saw was the bar.
If it was all inclusive I never usually went out of the complex, not even to the beach.

The last sober holiday I had in Greece I saw a man and woman and I swear they never left the same table, morning, noon and night.

It gradually became more and more piled up with cigarette butts and empty drink glasses. I felt sad for them, that this was what a holiday meant to them.

In the mean time, maybe attend a few AA meetings?
That really took away my appetite to over the top with drink for a while, before I stopped completely.

Only you can decide what is best x
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I also started at 13. I am 31 now. I went to detox and treatment when I was 28. It was the best decision I've ever made. I didn't really plan to go to detox until the few days before I actually went. Before I always had excuses why I couldn't go. That was before it became clear to me that it was go or die. I knew I needed to go to an inpatient treatment because I had progressed so far with the disease. It is a miracle to be clean and sober today. Detox and treatment gave me a strong foundation for when I entered AA out here in the "real world". Good luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alex - welcome
I'm a little confused tho - so the holiday is like a therapeutic detox... or one last blow out?

D