Notices

Its just me....

Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its just me....

So im really new to this whole recovery and trying to get clean... and I know its going to be hard.. expecialy going from the lifestyle ive lived for nearly a decade into my current life.. basicly theres no room for my old life in my new one.. that much has been made very clear.. not just by others, but myself aswell..but ive lived in a drug and booze induced numbness for over ten years and its hard to even contemplate a life outside of it.. ive been doing well the last six months.. totaly cut out coke and pills from my life, was easy concitering i moved from south florida to ohio where i dont know anyone... burt drinking has always been my constant companion since i was seventeen For the most part i can control it.. i can go short periods of time without wanting or needing a drink, but then something would happen and id want that numbness back and id run away to a bar and drink and drink untill i was out of cash... and then id be fine again... untill the next time...Now.. my wife is the one encouraging me to learn to control myself when it comes to drinking.. two nights ago she had to come pull my out of a bar and take me home... she has been more understandable then i deserve her to be, and thats why i want to do this.. for her, my step son and our marrage...we met the begining of the year, left our exes in april,moved to ohio and got married in june... really fast.. i know...ive never loved anyone as much as i do her and her son.. whos quickly become my own, as his douchebag father wants nothing to do with him 98 percent of the time.. but i dont want to let them down.. and the thought of losing them terrifies me... so im really hoping that this site, and the ppl that visit it can offer some support and help getting through this...so far everyone ive met has been great.. and i really like this site... im just scared ill have another episode and run off again... what do i do then? I dont know...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You came to a good place my friend. This site rocks. Stay strong for your new family and yourself.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow buckeye! We understand what you're feeling and going thru as many of us have gone thru similar times and emerged clean and sober on the other side. I used to think I was hopeless, that I'd never be able to stay sober, but with the help of my addiction counselor and this site I'm coming up on three years! You can do it too!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Chivalry. This is a wonderful place that will give you support and encouragement.
We're so glad to have you here.

I didn't think I'd ever be able to live without alcohol. I thought of it as a comforting thing - a way to cope. In the end it had turned my life into chaos and misery. I had to stop completely, because every time I picked up the outcome was dangerous and unpredictable. As we often say on here, 'I have no off switch'. One drink led to 10, and oblivion.

Congratulations for making the important decision to reclaim control of your life. We know you can do this!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. If you mean you might run off and drink again, then you can work to prevent that. You can learn to deal with life's problems in a healthy way, rather than drinking. For me, I had to a very long, hard look at myself and be completely honest with myself. What are the things in life that you have a hard time coping with? When you feel the need to run off and drink, believe that drinking is no longer an option. Get through each day. Don't keep any alcohol in the house and don't buy anymore alcohol. Stay away from places where alcohol is being served. Focus on the positive aspects of your life, and keep reading and posting.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Chivalry

I came here full of fear, knowing I had to stay sober but uncovinced in my capacity to maintain that. The guys here really helped me and put me at ease. There's a ton of support and encouragement here.

check out our Class of October thread for encouragement for people who've recently quit, just like you

SR's really helped me turn my life around - I know you can do the same, Chivalry

D
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Chivalry! This place has alot of resources and support!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.. This is a great forum. We are here to support and encourage you. At first it seems scary, but with people who understand as they have been through what you are going through, I believe you will succeed.

Best wishes
Chrisy
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you everyone... i really appreciate the advive and everything... just wish the ppl in the chat i talk to would take me more serious... cuz now that im sobe and clewan... ive notice all these other issues i have.....
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The chat goes off topic a lot, I would think of it more as a social place for sober people. If you want serious help the forums are usually better.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
We are here to support you.
Well done on your decision to change.