Notices

Hi

Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I stumbled across this forum while trying to find out more about megavitamin therapy for alcoholism.

Although things have been bad for me for a long time, they are getting worse. Spending my first fall in the PNW and I am not even bothering with the coffee in the mornings anymore and going straight to the booze.

Did AA a few years ago - well, a decade ago actually! - and I am trying to look into alternatives now. Maybe I will get back to that eventually, but for now, I'd like to try some other things.

Anyway, I will stop typing and get back to reading. Looks like there's a lot around here to learn from.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard..

I am a AA member. But there are plenty here that are not.. So keep reading and posting.

Here is the link to the Secular Section of SR.. Enjoy..

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sure vitamins can help you feel better but you need daily reminders of your need to stay sober. At first maybe hourly reminders. Remember that being sober is not just the abstinence of alcohol. In order to be sober you will need to work on many aspects of your life, resentments, honesty, selfishness, self pity, acceptance, being non-judge mental and I am sure the list can go on. Maybe try and AODA course especially if your insurance covers it. Self help work books can help as well. Good luck to you.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Welcome! I am an AA member but there are many other programs out there that have worked for people. It's worth checking out. I don't think how someone gets sober really matters- just that they get sober when they reach the turning point.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Vespera

There are lots of alternatives to AA. Try looking into AVRT and SMART. There's a reading list at the top of the Newcomers forum now too. Yup, there's plenty here to keep you busy, who's got time for drinking

Glad you're here x
Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Vespera

D
Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Vespera! I was searching for health information when I stumbled on SR over 5 yrs. ago. I never left. The support and encouragement has meant the world to me.

Before I came here I felt totally alone. No one else had my problem. I felt so relieved when I could tell my story and get amazing feedback and suggestions. I hope you'll find joining our family a huge help to you. We're all on your side.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. Definitely curious to learn more about AVRT and SMART, so thanks for pointing those out to me.

Other than alcohol, I was a smoker on and off (mostly on) since I was 15 - so about 23 years. I guess I have been "mostly off" the last 3.5 years, since about six weeks before I got pregnant with my son. Even though I have been a drinker almost as long, I am getting to the point where I was with cigarettes, swearing every bottle (pack) is "for sure the last one" ... and kidding myself that if I am not done by "tomorrow morning" (every morning), I will be strong enough to pour the rest out.

For the person who PMed me, PNW=Pacific Northwest. I guess I can't reply to PMs til I have more posts!