Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Quick poll... withdraw from college for rehab or wait for break?

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've withdrawn from two semesters before and am a little scared if I withdraw again I won't be allowed back. Then again, I dropped everything but one class and am flunking it, haven't shown up to my research job except once... I think I need inpatient rehab and finally am ready but my parents are mortified and think I'm rushing into things or

Did you guys that have gone to rehab in the middle of college wait or did you just go? My parents want me to work hard to finish my class and do my job, then maybe go to treatment over winter holiday but the best I can do in the class is fail and my job... eh. I'm afraid I'll chicken out of wanting to go to rehab by then and make all the more excuses not to go.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stalln

I have no experience to help you but it sounds to me like you want to go to rehab
It's your life, not your folks or anyone else's.

having said that....do your homework tho - check out what the penalties and consequences are for withdrawal...

if your parents are paying for college you might have to consider that too - there may be consequences there as well

D
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok...

Thanks for your input. At the advice of the (VERY cool and helpful) chatroom, I'm going to try to get with an advisor tomorrow. I'd welcome any other opinions!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

A student advisor is an excellent idea

D
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Stalln,
You aren't adding any positive grades to you permanent record drinking, it seems to me the cost/benefit analysis is pretty clear. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain when you are sober and can focus on studying?

Take care from yourself now, and you will be able to take care business later.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm...

Yeah, my parents have no concept of addiction, only of acute use. They don't seem to get that college, the money invested so far, etc. doesn't matter if I become a junkie or die. It's a miracle I'm not dead or in jail already with all the impaired driving I've done, abusing sleep aids and alcohol in the shower, etc.

I've been in huge conflict with them since bringing up the idea because it seems like they should be jumping for joy.