Why hasn't she said anything? Vent/rant

Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why hasn't she said anything? Vent/rant

So, the paternal grandmother of my RABF is the widow of a deceased alcoholic. This A died at about 55 years of age and was in the hospital when the doctors told him he had five months to live and he believed the doctors were wrong and drank himself to death. Toward the end of his life, when it got really bad, she left him and went to go live with her sister. This grandmother has seen my bf when he was "in the throes" of his alcoholism and showed up smashed at a family get-together. I don't understand why she hasn't said anything to me. I mean nobody talks about him anyways, to the point where it's like he never existed. She also harbors no anger/rage in her whatsoever, which I don't comprehend. I don't want to ask her how she managed to let it all go, because she doesn't even know that I know, and besides that, she has a form of dementia and can't remember stuff - every day is a "surprise" to her.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you answered your own question. She may not remember if she has advancing dementia.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's mostly short-term memory she has a problem with. She will make a comment or ask a question and five minutes later say the exact same thing because she didn't remember saying it earlier.