Notices

Did I do the right thing?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I do the right thing?

Kind of off topic but I am trying to keep myself from going back and doing what I really wanted to do in the first place.
I manage an equipment rental store for my dad. A customer of ours (from out of town) rented a gas powered saw. We always crank gas powered equipment before the customer leave to make sure everything is all good and also to walk the customer through the process. I didn't send the saw out of crank it but our employe did. The customer called and said "it won't crank" so I went out to crank it for him (knowing he flooded it) I wanted to take him a different saw but we were out. So I took a new plug and showed up on the job to crank the saw. I knew the other contractors on the job and we joked around a little. After changing the plug and pulling the rope several times it was evident that the saw was flooded to the point that it would take a while to crank it. So I told him I would take it back to the shop (5 min away) and bring him a different saw or the same one after I get it running (whatever came first) he had an attitude when he offered his cell number so we can "be on the same page" in a smart ass tone. I said "no need because I plan on getting this one running or bringing you a different saw whatever comes first... Unless you want me to call you and you come pick it up" he said "I want to be cutting with the son of a bitch!! That's what I want to be doing"!! I said "look buddy that saw ran when you picked it up and their is nothing wrong with it you guys just flooded it" he said "well if theirs nothing wrong with it then crank the damn thing"!! At that point I wanted to loose my cool and tell him that I would crank it and then shut it up his ass while it was running but I didn't. I said "buddy I am doing the best I know how... The saw isn't running and I am doing the best I can to get you a saw to use as fast as possible" he then cooled down a little and said "I understand... You are trying to rent and I am trying to use your equipment so just as long as we get it worked out" I picked up the saw and walked to the truck. The further I got away from that guy the madder I was for not at least punking him out and/ or beating his ass.
I thought you are supposed to feel better after doing the right thing? I want to go back and say a few things to him and see where it goes from their.
I am going on my lunch break in a few min. so if you think I should let it go you need to convince me now lol.
BTW dad noticed I was pissed so he took a different saw back and asked a few people what they thought happened. They said I have never seen ______ so mad but yes that guy was a smart ass first. Dad told him that it may be best for him to find somewhere else to rent and picked up the rest of his equipment and left. Non of our friends (who own rental stores) from the town where the customer lives knows anything about him. Usually that means he has a hard time renting from anyone. Hmmmm wonder why?
Just thought I would feel better if I vent to my SR friends.
I am doing good with my fight against alcoholism. Accepting the fact that I am an alcoholic had been hard for me but I feel more ready now that ever. I feel at peace with it. Today is day three for the fourth of city time recently. I have made it over a week recently but I let my mind or (AV) play tricks on me because I want t be a normal drinker. The truth is normal drinkers don't enjoy it as much as we do anyway so do I really want to be a Norman drinker? Maybe not. Maybe I will just be happy to be me from now on.
I love all my SR friends
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyingdog View Post
I want to go back and say a few things to him and see where it goes from their.
And where do you think that will be?

You can go from being the "winner" in a no win situation, to a massive loser.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dude, you have bigger fish to fry. Don't waste your time on that guy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agreed this is one to walk away from (which you already did) so just stay away from it now. We all need to worry about the big problems and let the little ones go away, and this guy is a little one.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You did the smart thing and the right thing. Be proud of yourself for walking away from the situation.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just finished eating lunch and I feel much better now. I normaly don't get that mad but he just rubbed me the wrong way. Now I am glad I took the high road.
Not my style to get into a fight with someone. Now I feel like I did the right thing.
Thanks to my friends. You are right I have bigger fish to fry. Yes I know where t would have lead... Where I wanted it to lead at the time. Not saying I am a tough guy because he may have very well kicked my butt. At he time I felt like I would rather go down swinging after I told him what I thought about him. In the end I know I did the right thing.
Back to recovery.... I hope everyone is having a great day. Even if it is day one AGAIN or for the first time we should all be thankful that we have today. Not to sound cheesy but the truth is we can use today to for whatever we want. Some people waist it by doing the minimum required to get by some get drunk and/or high. And some do the best they can to foregive those who wrong is, seek foregivness from those we have wronged, foregive ourselves and lay down tonight knowing we can sleep well. I hope everyone on this board does the latter.
I am happy to be a part of this community.
Good luck to everyone!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Punching a customer out would not really be building your business - you did well to walk away LD...put it behind you

and welcome back
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You did the right thing.
I had a similar experience with a guy who was calling my father names.
When I had the chance to confront him face to face (we had already had words over the phone) I just stared him down, did what I had to do, and left.
I think he knew what was up, and I didn't get arrested that day.

Feels crappy sometimes, but the right thing isn't always the easy thing.
Be proud you aren't drinking over it.

Who knows, maybe the guy has his own demons, and thats why he acted like such an ass.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate. Good for you for making the right decision. Altercations often end up involving police, attorneys, and/or ambulances. Good to avoid all three in those circumstances regardless of who ends up the butt-kicker or the butt-kickee. Sounds like you turned a frustrating and bad situation into a victory of growth and strength to me.
Congrats on staying sober thoughout it as well.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I hate to tell you this but if doing the right thing in a situation like that felt good everyone would do the right thing every time! People always take a pound of flesh that are bullies or victims, and we feel as bad as if we did the wrong thing with emotional residue like anger or guilt. Maybe worse for a few minutes or an hour. Doing the right thing takes courage and a mental toughness. You showed that today. And blew off steam with us not at us.

But in early sobriety, and even late after a year we can have a surprisingly short fuse that we wonder about because it is not like us. If we walk and consider we find it is us. It takes two. So relax, the residue is normal, and you passed the test today and stayed sober to boot. That should feel good and the residue from the other will fade quickly.

Yes you did the right thing in the end. It does not have to feel good right away. Immediate gratification is one of the reasons we drank bud. You do learn fast or slow but you learn.

YMMV