Notices

After three sober weeks...The Test!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After three sober weeks...The Test!

Does that sound dramatic? Well, this weekend I'm going on the first sober camping trip I'll have been on in...hmmm, probably since I was 12! For years my favorite part of camping has been building a big fire and sitting there, drinking wine and watching the flames. My brother and I would often take a box of wine each and polish them both off by the time we were ready to nod off.

This will be very different! I'm sure my brother will bring his wine along. He's not a big drinker but when he's with me I've always goaded him on to keep up!

The really interesting thing is that he doesn't know I've quit. It will be a little strange, him being falling down drunk and me being sober! This will probably be the first time ever that I am the sober one!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't want to tell him beforehand? Maybe he would prefer not to drink, and has only been doing it because you do?
Either way, have fun. I hate bugs, so couldn't imagine sleeping outside, but I guess that's a city girl thing!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it!!! I agree maybe tell him beforehand. This is a tough weekend for me too. Possible Halloween party Friday and then a wedding Saturday night. Lets both make sure to come post on here after he weekends to share our success stories!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I would tell your bro beforehand. This will decrease the likelihood of him offering to share his box of wine with you. You might feel fine about it now but when you are in the moment and you start associating things with drinking then you don't know what you are going to say. I would warn him just to be safe.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have done the same, MythofSisyphus, twice, at least. The first time wasn't really too tough, probably because it was a different location. Still the same folks and environment. The last time was a tough one for me, and that was 13 months after my last drink. That was at the same place this time, with memories that went back 20 years. We were always a few large cocktails into the rum with attitude well adjusted before we started to set up camp. Part of the challenge of backwoods living, I suppose.

I stayed mindful, and refused to get caught up and swept away, kept my focus on the present. I stayed aware of my thoughts and made sure that I pictured me as I am now, not the stumbling drunk I had been in the past. Drinking is something I don't do now.

The people that were with me were well aware of the new me, and I didn't expect or receive any special consideration from them, but there were no half and half 'cocktails' put into my hand. At the end of the trips, when we were striking camp, I got a couple of private and sincere commendations from old friends.

I hope it goes as well for you, Myth. Best to you.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you have a good sober time MOS.

Having said that....being out in the woods, for days, no escape, with someone who's expecting me to drink, and a box of wine....that's a big call MOS.

It would have been too big for me at 3 weeks sober.

D
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I never could have resisted the temptation at 3 weeks. Some can but I have seen far more fail than succeed.

Best of luck and may you have the strength to resist.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys! I actually don't think it will be a challenge at all. The "challenge" will be finally telling someone I've quit. So far I've been selfish, jealously guarding it because it's something I'm doing just for me; I own this, it's not for anyone else. I'm not doing it for love, approbation or approval. Once I tell my brother, he'll tell my family, then it will be This Big Thing. Well, it is a big thing and it's not at the same time. I simply don't drink anymore.

I'm not at all worried about his sharing his wine with me- it wouldn't be nearly enough! No point in drinking half a box, that would just get me wound up.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Myth, good luck on the camping trip-it sounds like you have a very strong will which will help fight the urges if they hit. I'd expect them to hit, would probably be odd if they didn't. I hope your brother is the supportive type that will maybe limit his own intake to make it a little easier for you.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chg

Thanks MOS for sharing that being sober is something you are doing for yourself. I am doing it for myself too. And I agree, I have not told anyone yet. doing so, to me, is the challenge. Have a great sober weekend!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck this weekend! I am not a camper either, though I do love cabins in the winter, and besch cabins. All of these remind me if vacation, and a time for me to kick back, relax and enjoy. All have involved wine, always too much.

I am on day 14, and I think the first big test for me will be Thanksgiving. I am usually in charge of bringing drinks, this is probably due to the fact that my culinary skills are limited. I suppose this means I better find some easy recipes and start practicing. I am going to call and tell my in laws I will be bringing.... Before being asked to provide alcohol.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think I've ever been camping sober! How sad is that lol. Have fun though, I've heard that people go camping for the nature experience and not an excuse to drink, I don't believe them lol haha.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your either going to relapse or have a miserable time sober

That's just a fact, this early in recovery that's just how it's going to be in a situation like this
Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post
Your either going to relapse or have a miserable time sober

That's just a fact, this early in recovery that's just how it's going to be in a situation like this
Bah, humbug! Well, I ain't gonna relapse 'cause I'll be out in the woods. There are no 7/11s or liquor stores in the woods!

Now this will sound weird, I know, but I expect I'll have a good time. I love the stillness of the woods and the crackle of the fire. My sobriety thus far has been strange because it's been so uneventful. No real cravings to speak of, no DTs, not withdrawal. All the things I've enjoyed drunk, I'm surprised to find I still enjoy sober. For instance, I have maybe $15,000 invested in my audio system and video gear. For all that, my collection of 700 DVDs and 1000+ CDs was something I generally enjoyed while getting smashed. Initially I was reluctant to fire up my "big rig" for fear of feeling like I needed a drink but to my surprise I had no such impulse.

So far I've been able to do all the same things I did before...except drink. No, I haven't tried it because I don't need to. It became crystal clear to me three weeks ago that I never wanted just a few drinks- I always drank to get drunk. Generally, sloppy drunk.

I don't mean to come off as cocky. The first relapse is always potentially around the corner. All I can do in the mean time is live my life as fully as I can. I mean, if not why quit in the first place!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

maybe tell your brother before you go. If he's not a big drinker anyway,maybe he won't bring wine

For me,just watching someone drink wine triggers me massively and I've had 3 relapses in those situations despite being 45 days and happy sober. Please don't underestimate the power of the trigger arising from association. you sound very strong and I'm certainly not trying to undermine your strength-just a word of caution,so early on.have a great trip
Old 10-26-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your warning is well received. So far though I don't mind watching people drink. Drunk people are funny!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your mindset is completely different now than it will be in that moment

Right now "drinking is not good for me, I don't intend to drink ever again"
Then "f it, I love alcohol, yolo, might as well embrace it"
Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think you are going to have a great time. I'll tell you what...you may have a little craving but you will handle it. The coolest part is how you will feel the first thing in the morning..You are going to open your eyes after a great restful sleep FEELING WONDERFUL and being out in the fresh air and all the beauty....OMgoodness you are going to have a blast!!!!

Lots to look forward to...
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I admire your positive attitude. But forewarned is forearmed too.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello, all! Just got back from a couple days camping at it was awesome! A bit nippy- the first night my soda's froze into slushies when I opened them and the water in my stainless steel water bottles froze on top! Not a problem, though; I just tossed some extra wood on the fire and was warm and toasty.

Didn't drink a drop of booze, either. My brother brought a sixer of Sam Adams for himself. When I told him I quit he didn't think it was a big deal really. Of course he might think he knows how much I drank but he doesn't. He admitted that he really dislikes getting drunk. Unless he was drinking with me he generally just nurses about 4 beers the whole night (he's 6'4" and 305 lbs, btw- probably can't even feel it til he drinks 6-7).

It was great too watch the stars, hear the howl of the coyotes in the distance and soak up the warmth of a crackling fire...and not be drunk. And better still to get up this morning to break camp NOT feeling like I gotta hurl!